Insultingly stupid movie physics

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Insultingly stupid movie physics

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Lazar wrote:Well, you would only hear sounds coming from within your own ship.
I think they said the reasoning behind putting muffled sounds on was that you'd both hear your own ship, and you'd also hear sounds from other ships in the background of the radio chatter.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Reliant121 wrote:In its early series it did, but the SFX later developed to show weapon sounds. I've spent god knows how long watching them since christmas :lol:
Any noises you heard there where part of the music. That's what JMS said anyhow...
email, ergo spam
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Hmmm. It seems a little bit of a cop out to me as the noises were clearly perceptible in time with weapons fire, vessels moving etc. It's easy to explain it away as background music, even if it is genuine. Who knows?

And honestly, It doesn't fuss me in the slightest.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Noise never bothered me. A lot of 'problems' just never bothered me. *Shrug*
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Same for me really (:
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

The only thing they mentioned that really bothered me (aside form the horrible ones like the Core) are the lasers on sniper rifles. Just made me go :doh: every time I saw it.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Noise never bothered me. A lot of 'problems' just never bothered me. *Shrug*
And you call yourself a nerd... :lol:
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

stitch626 wrote:...the lasers on sniper rifles. Just made me go :doh: every time I saw it.
Yeah, that's frakkin stupid. :lol:

Laser sights in general aren't smart. Optical sights are perfectly fine if you just want a glowing dot to show you where you're aiming.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

And ghost rings make it far easier to acquire a target in a combat (i.e., non-sniping) situation.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

A real, trained sniper wouldn't need the laser anyway -- but then the careful, painstaking process of real-world sniping doesn't make for exciting Hollywood drama. Of course, the way Hollywood tramples all over the "one shot, one kill" mantra of true snipers is simply painful; half the time they end up shooting up the whole room. :bangwall:
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Wouldn't need the laser? A real sniper would avoid it like the plague. The last thing a real sniper would ever use is any piece of kit that waves a big flag and says, "Hey! here I am, over here!"
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Noise never bothered me. A lot of 'problems' just never bothered me. *Shrug*
And you call yourself a nerd... :lol:
Just the well-adjusted kind. :P
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Mikey wrote:Wouldn't need the laser? A real sniper would avoid it like the plague. The last thing a real sniper would ever use is any piece of kit that waves a big flag and says, "Hey! here I am, over here!"
Well, of course there's that stealth aspect. I could have chosen better wording.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The Core.

If the Core is indeed the size of Mars (which it is, more or less), and it's stopped rotating... where has all the rotational energy gone? And how is just a few nukes enough energy to make it spin again?

So if compasses go wild then the shuttle can end up 130 miles off course? Really? They don't find it's location with radar? Or look at it in telescopes? Or find it's location with GPS?

Okay, not a physics nit, but the hero scientist guy tells all his students that if they help him on his project he will approve their degree thesis without reading them. Do I even need to point out how wrong this is?

How does the Earth's MAGNETIC field stop microwaves passing through, when microwaves aren't charged particles?

Without the magnetic field, the sun's intensity is sufficient to melt the Golden Gate bridge in a matter of a minute or so. So how does the space shuttle survive in space? Incidentally, since it's the center of the bridge that melts, why do the towers bend in to the middle right than outwards

The digging ship is a series of compartments arranged in a rough tube. On the surface, it's laid flat and people walk around the inside of the curved surface. As it digs straight down into the Earth it's basically standing on it's nose... and people still walk around on the same curved surface, even though it should now be a wall.

Why don't the giant geodes collapse under the pressure? When one gets a hole knocked in it, why doesn't the outside lava spray through in a massive torrent rather than drip/pour? If the inside pressure equals the outside pressure... then how come they can go outside in those soft suits?

We're told the two survivors got out through a gap between two tectonic plates near Hawaii. But there are no plate boundaries anywhere near Hawaii, it's right in the middle of a plate.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Graham, just don't watch The Core.

Seriously, you'll sprain something. It's better to just bang your head on a brick wall. Less painful, more likely to forget everything.