Insultingly stupid movie physics

Insultingly stupid movie physics

Postby Lighthawk » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:26 pm

The site

A rather interesting site for those of us who enjoy considering the science behind the things we see in movies, whether done well or poorly.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Re: Insultingly stupid movie physics

Postby Captain Picard's Hair » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:43 am

One of the less obvious examples comes from Independence Day; the mother ship wouldn't need to expend any effort to eradicate the human infestation from Earth since the output from her engines which would have been needed to slow such a massive ship would have by itself devastated the Earth's surface!

Some things, particularly the well-known issue of sound in space, is just a necessary 'error' for the sake of movie drama; try to imagine Star Wars without the space "sounds" and it simply doesn't work.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Picard's Hair
Captain
Captain

Postby kostmayer » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:39 am

Sound in space is just one of those things you accept in a movie, like humanoid aliens who speak English. Though BSG did a pretty good job of showing battles in space without sound.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Postby Mikey » Sat Jan 22, 2011 12:49 pm

nBSG was also one of the only shows/movies to show a more accurate (if not entirely accurate) conception of maneuverability in space.
"We've been over this. We don't shoot first and ask questions later."
"Of course! We never ask questions."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby stitch626 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 4:57 pm

One reason I loved Firefly from the beginning was the lack of sound in the first episode. It made the nerd in me smile.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Postby Sionnach Glic » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:12 pm

kostmayer wrote:Sound in space is just one of those things you accept in a movie, like humanoid aliens who speak English. Though BSG did a pretty good job of showing battles in space without sound.

nBSG did have sound in space. It was just muffled as though it was taking place underwater. Which I thought was a nice compromise.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Postby Sonic Glitch » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:19 pm

Sionnach Glic wrote:
kostmayer wrote:Sound in space is just one of those things you accept in a movie, like humanoid aliens who speak English. Though BSG did a pretty good job of showing battles in space without sound.

nBSG did have sound in space. It was just muffled as though it was taking place underwater. Which I thought was a nice compromise.

I suspect test audiences didn't like the lack of sound. And wouldn't you still here things in the cockpit due to: 1. The cockpit being pressurized, and 2. Sound being transmitted by vibrations through the viper/ship frame itself?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Postby Lazar » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:29 pm

Well, you would only hear sounds coming from within your own ship.
"There was also a large horse in the room, taking up most of it."
Lazar
Captain
Captain

Postby Sonic Glitch » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:32 pm

Lazar wrote:Well, you would only hear sounds coming from within your own ship.

That's what I meant. Guess I didn't make that clear.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Postby Sionnach Glic » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:40 pm

Aye, but you wouldn't hear things like ships exploding, or rocketing past you.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Postby Tsukiyumi » Sat Jan 22, 2011 10:58 pm

You'd hear it if something impacted your hull.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Postby IanKennedy » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:48 pm

It was B5 that first showed silent space battles. Any noises you heard there where part of the music.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Reliant121 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:49 pm

In its early series it did, but the SFX later developed to show weapon sounds. I've spent god knows how long watching them since christmas :lol:
"He was the best of us. They struck without provocation, there was no reason. Animals! Brutal! They deserve no mercy! Strike them down, follow them back to their base and kill all of them, all of them! No mercy!" - Delenn
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Postby kostmayer » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:32 am

IanKennedy wrote:It was B5 that first showed silent space battles. Any noises you heard there where part of the music.

The ships behaved a little more like ships in space would as well, rather then flying round like aircraft.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Postby Reliant121 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:38 am

I've always been fond of starfury dogfights because of that.
"He was the best of us. They struck without provocation, there was no reason. Animals! Brutal! They deserve no mercy! Strike them down, follow them back to their base and kill all of them, all of them! No mercy!" - Delenn
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Next

Return to Science, Philosophy and Theology