Japanese deploy solar sail

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Japanese deploy solar sail

Post by Captain Seafort »

Japanese scientists are celebrating the successful deployment of their solar sail, Ikaros.

The 200-sq-m (2,100-sq-ft) membrane is attached to a small disc-shaped spacecraft that was put in orbit last month by an H-IIA rocket.

Ikaros will demonstrate the principle of using sunlight as a simple and efficient means of propulsion.

The technique has long been touted as a way of moving spacecraft around the Solar System using no chemical fuels.

The mission team will be watching to see if Ikaros produces a measurable acceleration, and how well its systems are able to steer the craft through space.

The Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (Jaxa) said in a statement that its scientists and engineers had begun to deploy the solar sail on 3 June (JST).

On 10 June, Jaxa said, confirmation was received that the sail had expanded successfully. Some thin-film solar cells embedded in the membrane were even generating power, it added.

Space applications

The principle of solar sailing is a simple one. Photons, or particles of light, falling on a highly reflective, ultra-thin (in this case, just 7.5 microns) surface will exert a pressure.

The force is tiny but continuous, and over time should produce a considerable velocity.

Solar sails will never replace conventional propulsion systems like chemical thrusters, but they do have the potential to play a much greater role in certain types of space mission.

Louis Friedman, from the space advocacy group The Planetary Society, is a big supporter of the technology. The society's LightSail-1, a much smaller mission than Ikaros, could launch by the year's end. He told BBC News recently: "The potential that we all seek is the ultra-lightweight, very fast spacecraft that doesn't use fuel.

"That's the future of interstellar travel; that's the long-term goal. The intermediate goals are to be able to use this technology to 'hover' in interplanetary space at particular points for monitoring, say, the Sun or monitoring the Earth's geomagnetic poles or magneto-tail; and then also to fly between the planets without using fuel."

Already some satellites in geostationary orbit above the Earth use flaps on the ends of their solar panels to catch the pressure of sunlight to maintain their correct attitude.

This leads to a considerable saving on the fuel that would otherwise have to be sent surging through the satellites' thrusters, and operators have found this strategy can extend the longevity of some missions by many months.

Venus 'piggy-back'

Deploying a large membrane in space is a challenging task, however.

The circular Ikaros was launched with the sail wrapped around it. The plan was to unbutton the four weighted corners of the membrane and allow them to fly outwards as the central module turned. This was expected to pull the sail taut. A camera mounted on the central hub of Ikaros confirmed the sail had indeed been drawn flat.

Japanese scientists must now hope they can control this huge spinning film. If instabilities develop in the sail, it could start to bend and fold, ruining the experiment.

Ikaros was a piggy-back payload to Japan's Venus orbiter, Akatsuki.

The pair were boosted in to space on 21 May (JST) from the Tanegashima Space Center.

Akatsuki will arrive at Venus in December. Key goals include finding definitive evidence for lightning and for active volcanoes.
Beeb

Very cool. I wonder how long it'll be before we get something like this:

Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Japanese deploy solar sail

Post by Mikey »

It is very cool, but hopefully we won't be using crew capsules made of wood. :P
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

That is cool. I wish NASA could get money to compete. *raisesfist*
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Mikey wrote:It is very cool, but hopefully we won't be using crew capsules made of wood. :P
Capsule? I want me a wooden solar-sailing ship. Britannia could rule the solar waves.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Sorry, I didn't have a pic of one with a Union jack atop:

as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Now scientists need to create the mighty Foom canons!
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Monroe wrote:Now scientists need to create the mighty Foom canons!
The what? :?
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

I think he's refering to the sound effects depicted in the picture.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

DOOH! :bangwall:
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Deepcrush wrote:DOOH! :bangwall:
No, no, "FOOM!"
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

:suicide:
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

What the hell is that from?

In other news I hope that probe is tiny because in solar sail terms 200 meters square ain't much.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The space barq is from some SW comic book. *EDIT* Sorry, it's not a barque... it's rigged more like a brig without a gaff.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

...Star Wars? WTF?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral