Justification Of God's Dubiously Just Acts

Re: Justification Of God's Dubiously Just Acts

Postby Sionnach Glic » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:27 pm

So upon death, life just...ends? Interesting. I thought that virtualy all religions had some sort of version of an afterlife.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Postby Mikey » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:45 pm

Well, as I said we do believe after a fashion in the reunion of the ru'ach (spirit, animating presence) with G-d after a person's death; but it's not a soul in the Christian sense, so there's no telling if there's a continuation of any sort of consciousness in a way we can understand. I'd rather spend my life focused on what's going on now, rather than spending my life preparing for death.
"You fought with Captain Reynolds in the war?"
"I fought with a lot of people in the war."
"And your husband?"
"I fight with him sometimes, too."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Nickswitz » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:47 pm

I know that we believe that life just ends, and then some become spirit beings, and the rest end up being resurrected on earth after Armageddon happens.

I didn't know that Jews believed in a lack of afterlife, to a point at least. The one Jew that I personally knew seemed to believe in an afterlife, I may be mistaken about what he believed, he seemed to joke about it a lot.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Mikey » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:16 pm

There's Jews and then there's Jews. For obvious reasons, Jews with a more messianic bent to their beliefs tend to believe in more of an afterlife than I've described. But we certainly don't have such a rigidly defined heaven or hell - even the concept of Satan/Samael/Azazel/Asmodeus in some of the apocrypha and medieval Kabbalah/etc. is a rather undefined idea. Of course, we can't have a limbo or purgatory, because we don't have sacraments of baptism or confession, nor do we believe in original sin being the baggage of everyone.
"And your husband?"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Reliant121 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:42 pm

So, The idea of an afterlife is somewhat of a personal element depending on where the individual's beliefs lean?
"He was the best of us. They struck without provocation, there was no reason. Animals! Brutal! They deserve no mercy! Strike them down, follow them back to their base and kill all of them, all of them! No mercy!" - Delenn
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Postby Mikey » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:44 pm

Reliant121 wrote:So, The idea of an afterlife is somewhat of a personal element depending on where the individual's beliefs lean?

No matter what your religion is, unless you're a completely robotic dogma-spewing automaton, isn't that always the case? ;)
"And your husband?"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Reliant121 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:46 pm

Mikey wrote:
Reliant121 wrote:So, The idea of an afterlife is somewhat of a personal element depending on where the individual's beliefs lean?

dogma-spewing automaton

Answered your own question, most religious people I have encountered have been somewhat in this fashion. Besides Reema and my mother that is. And members of the forum evidently.
"He was the best of us. They struck without provocation, there was no reason. Animals! Brutal! They deserve no mercy! Strike them down, follow them back to their base and kill all of them, all of them! No mercy!" - Delenn
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Postby Nickswitz » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:31 pm

Yeah, that is very true Reliant. Most people I talk to about religion usually just say something around the lines of "I jut don't believe that" and if you ask why, the answer is "because the priest told me so." It's one of the reasons I like this forum so much, I have people that when I argue religion/lack thereof, I get reasoning.

However yes, most of the religions out there tell their parishioners agree or die.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Previous

Return to Science, Philosophy and Theology