The weird, wild, and amazing natural world

Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The weird, wild, and amazing natural world

Post by Vic »

In more than just a figurative way.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Clouds can be quite awesome.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Yeah, and just imagine something that looks like that hanging motionless over head. Be rather sureal.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Yeah, I think I'd be staying indoors if I saw clouds like that hovering over the city.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

If I saw clouds like that overhead I'd be getting my spells and incantations ready to combat the demon horde. ;)
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Sionnach Glic wrote:Yeah, I think I'd be staying indoors if I saw clouds like that hovering over the city.
I think I did see clouds like that once. They weren't nearly as thick but they had the same shape, hovering overhead as we tried to watch a bike race. I forget if they preceded or succeeded the storm that day...
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Yeah, I've seen a lot of weather phenomena in person, but that's pretty damn bizarre-looking.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

A circumhorizontal fire rainbow arc occurs at a rare confluence of right time and right place for the sun and certain clouds.
Crystals within the clouds refract light into the various visible waves of the spectrum but only if they are arrayed correctly relative to the ground below. Due to the rarity with which all of these events happen in conjunction with one another, there are relatively few remarkable photos of this phenomena.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Wow. I like that.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Very pretty. :)
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

That would be an awesome thing to see!
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

[...]

In the northern part of Guatemala City, the downpour created a giant sinkhole that swallowed up a space larger than the area of a street intersection. Residents told CNN that a three-story building and a house fell into the hole.

A local newspaper reported that a private security guard was killed when the sinkhole opened up, but authorities had not confirmed the fatality. Residents said that a poor sewage drainage system underground was to blame for the sinkhole. A similar hole opened up nearby last year, they said.

[...]
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

:shock: How the hell does that happen?
Bite my shiny metal ass
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Underground water gradually washing away dirt and soil below ground, leaving a big empty space. Eventually, the weight of the remaining ground and/or other objects (buildings for example) above the cavity becomes more than can be supported, and...
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Lighthawk wrote:Underground water gradually washing away dirt and soil below ground, leaving a big empty space. Eventually, the weight of the remaining ground and/or other objects (buildings for example) above the cavity becomes more than can be supported, and...
ah, makes sense now, thanks.
Bite my shiny metal ass