The weird, wild, and amazing natural world

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The weird, wild, and amazing natural world

Post by Captain Seafort »

*squints* Some kind of unholy cross between a monkey and a Yorkie?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

A tribble?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

GrahamKennedy wrote:The Blobfish :

The blobfish (Psychrolutes marcidus) is a fish that inhabits the deep waters off the coasts of Australia and Tasmania. Due to the inaccessibility of its habitat, it is rarely seen by humans.

Blobfish are found at depths where the pressure is several dozens of times higher than at sea level, which would likely make gas bladders inefficient. To remain buoyant, the flesh of the blobfish is primarily a gelatinous mass with a density slightly less than water; this allows the fish to float above the sea floor without expending energy on swimming. The relative lack of muscle is not a disadvantage as it primarily swallows edible matter that floats by in front it.
Aww, sad fish is sad. :lol:
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Sionnach Glic wrote:A tribble?
:laughroll:
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

GrahamKennedy wrote:The Blobfish :

The blobfish (Psychrolutes marcidus) is a fish that inhabits the deep waters off the coasts of Australia and Tasmania. Due to the inaccessibility of its habitat, it is rarely seen by humans.

Blobfish are found at depths where the pressure is several dozens of times higher than at sea level, which would likely make gas bladders inefficient. To remain buoyant, the flesh of the blobfish is primarily a gelatinous mass with a density slightly less than water; this allows the fish to float above the sea floor without expending energy on swimming. The relative lack of muscle is not a disadvantage as it primarily swallows edible matter that floats by in front it.
Looks like the Face of Boe partially melted.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Lighthawk wrote:Any guesses as to what type of critter this is?

No more guesses? Alright, it's a rabbit. Angora Rabbit. They were apparently popular pets for the French nobility in the 1700s, and are still bred for their extremely fluffy fur.

Alright, going back to the depths, which seems to be the best place to find the really weird stuff.

Laughing Man
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laughing Man »

Despite how strange, or seemingly malformed, or totally obscure, It's all Disymmetric?

I Know evolution says we come from a base component which upgraded itself, but why has this remained a constant?
Heck Is Where People Go Who Don't Believe In Golly!
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

It hasn't really. Compare a worm to a human. Not much similarities there.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Laughing Man
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laughing Man »

Despite how strange, or seemingly malformed, or totally obscure, It's all Disymmetric?

I Know evolution says we come from a base component which upgraded itself, but why has this remained a constant?
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Shit, they changed something in the matrix...
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Lighthawk wrote:s**t, they changed something in the matrix...
:lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Laughing Man
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Laughing Man »

I ate the Dupe!
Didn't consider worms or Molluscite creatures. Thinking now Jellyfish are ubersymmetrical.

I can hear my dad in my head saying "measure twice post once"!

(I thought i deleted the dupe, but its still there!)
colmquinn
Commander
Commander

Post by colmquinn »

I think Laughing man was talking about Bilateral symmetry rather than Disymetric, Bilateral Symetry
But I can't throw, I throw like a geek!
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

But a good number of those organisms display radial symmetry, which is far from universal.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

The mysterious moving stones of the packed-mud desert of Death Valley have been a center of scientific controversy for decades. Rocks weighing up to hundreds of pounds have been known to move up to hundreds of yards at a time. Some scientists have proposed that a combination of strong winds and surface ice account for these movements. However, this theory does not explain evidence of different rocks starting side by side and moving at different rates and in disparate directions. Moreover, the physics calculations do not fully support this theory as wind speeds of hundreds of miles per hour would be needed to move some of the stones.