The weird, wild, and amazing natural world

Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

The weird, wild, and amazing natural world

Post by Lighthawk »

Inspired by Tyyr's monster fish tongue parasite, I hereby dedicate this thread to the bizarre and/or amazing creatures we share this planet with.

So to start things off, the electric eel, which actually isn't an eel, but a type of knife fish. While no where near as obscure as the tongue usurper, is still a damn amazing bit of evolution. It can generate up to 500 watts of electric energy, enough to be potentially fatal to a human being. And it does so using an organ filled with positively charged sodium to create a charge through several thousand tiny stacked electrical platelets. And it can fire off these electrical pulses for well over an hour if agitated.

Interesting side note: Some scientists are researching the electrical generating cells and organs of this and other electric generating fish to create artificial bio-batteries that could be used to power implanted devices in people, such as a fake hand for example.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The weird, wild, and amazing natural world

Post by Sionnach Glic »

A cookie to the first to correctly name this interesting little guy:

"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Condylura cristata, aka the star-nosed mole.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Beat me to it.

For my own humble submission, I give you the barreleye:

The eyes are the green spheres under the top of the forehead, not the pores in front. They are contained in the transparent head; as a deep-sea fish, the barreleye's eyes actually normally point upwards; but when foraging, the entire eyeball assembly (which is tubular) may rotate to face forward.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

Maybe not so strange, but I love these birds.
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

Sionnach Glic wrote:A cookie to the first to correctly name this interesting little guy:

And I love these guys too! So cute.
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Mikey wrote:Beat me to it.

For my own humble submission, I give you the barreleye:

The eyes are the green spheres under the top of the forehead, not the pores in front. They are contained in the transparent head; as a deep-sea fish, the barreleye's eyes actually normally point upwards; but when foraging, the entire eyeball assembly (which is tubular) may rotate to face forward.
That is really awesome
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Why do we insist on killing off the tasty or cute animals? Why can't we arrange a little genocide for these freaks?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Tyyr wrote:Why do we insist on killing off the tasty or cute animals? Why can't we arrange a little genocide for these freaks?
Because there's not much point in putting inedible shit on your plate, or hanging some ugly brute's head on the wall.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:Why do we insist on killing off the tasty or cute animals?
We kill the tasty ones because... well, because they're tasty, and most often they're tastier when killed and cooked. The cute ones, not so much. We have a fair bias toward the cute ones. Everyone's worried about dolphins killed while harvesting tuna; while in fact, there are far more tuna killed in the harvesting of tuna than dolphins.
Tyyr wrote:Why can't we arrange a little genocide for these freaks?
Why bother?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

The Blobfish :

The blobfish (Psychrolutes marcidus) is a fish that inhabits the deep waters off the coasts of Australia and Tasmania. Due to the inaccessibility of its habitat, it is rarely seen by humans.

Blobfish are found at depths where the pressure is several dozens of times higher than at sea level, which would likely make gas bladders inefficient. To remain buoyant, the flesh of the blobfish is primarily a gelatinous mass with a density slightly less than water; this allows the fish to float above the sea floor without expending energy on swimming. The relative lack of muscle is not a disadvantage as it primarily swallows edible matter that floats by in front it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

GrahamKennedy wrote:Image
Wot, no fins? :wink:
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

It looks like someone melted Ziggy. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Lighthawk »

Any guesses as to what type of critter this is?

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I think it used to be a cat.