Suicide

Is suicide ever acceptable; is it a personal choice that should be respected?

Yes, suicide is a personal decision, as selfish as it is.
27%
No, but it can be acceptable under certain circumstances.
68%
No, suicide is always wrong for religious reasons (please explain)
5%
No, suicide is always wrong because of secular reasons (selfishness, cowardice, etc)
No votes

Total votes: 22
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Suicide

Post by Mikey »

Agreed. Seppuku is a cowardly way out of a situation, writ as "honorable" so the samurai could make themselves feel better about doing it.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Killing yourself doesn't make anything better, especially if you're doing it because you "disgraced" your family. Cause now not only are they disgraced, they're also grieving, and have to plan a funeral, and deal with all your worldly possessions. Yeah, way to lay MORE problems on your family so you can avoid things.
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Mikey touched upon the "one day at a time" philosophy which is the absolute truth. For me, personally even though I've been clean 4 and a half years now, if I look to far down the road, I simply can't imagine never drinking or using again. My addiction colors my outlook. Even though I see all the positive things that have happened since I came into recovery, I just CAN'T fathom never using again. That's why we don't look that far ahead, lest we start feeling overwhelmed and say "fuck it".

Same hold true for depressives. I'm one of the few in my family that ISN'T depressed (either clinical or manic), and I can say, they just CAN'T see the hope for the future. Their pain which may seem trivial too you or I can be overwhelming for them. And it's not even the painful events...thats just a symptom not the disease. They just CAN'T see hope, or joy, or whatnot, because it's always overshadowed.

As for honorable suicide....I pose this question. What is the greater act of atonement.....taking you own life which is a one time deal and then you never worry about it again.....or making daily amends for the rest of you life?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

(Personal moment here we go)

The addiction sort of holds true to self harm, once its started it becomes a habitual thing when things get a little tough. In my case, I did it when I didnt even have reason to. Curiousity alone caused it to happen, after having a rather strong argument and...well, it did in fact help. well it felt like it did anyway. Then i'd do it whenever some minor incident came up. Until I finally hit the big time, and got an infection of some form in one of the wounds. Now, I'm sorta paying for it since the wound never really healed properly.
Like Mark, I can't promise that I wouldnt do it again purely because I did it before and remember the vivid sense of relief, no matter how artificial, it gave me. So I just deal with things a day at a time.