No, I would not push the button
64%

Total votes: 22
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

The Box - what would you do?

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So there's a new movie out which is a remake of a Twilight Zone episode (or maybe Outer Limits... one of those anyway).

The premise is that there's a couple who are a bit short of cash. Struggling to keep their house, living paycheck to paycheck. Then one day a box turns up with a large button on top of it and a mysterious message : if you push the button, two things will happen. One, you will be given one million dollars. Two, somewhere in the world, a person whom you do not know will die.

So would you push it? And if not for a million, how about ten million? A hundred million?

Incidentally I guess this works best if you don't know the ending to the story, which is this :
The couple push the button and the box works exactly as advertised, they get their million. But the kicker is, the box is then passed on to somebody else in the same situation - and the person who pushed the button then becomes the "somebody you don't know" for the next person.
But for the purposes of the discussion, let's assume that that is not an issue this time.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The Box - what would you do?

Post by Deepcrush »

While I'm very very very tempted. I'm going to say no. I don't think I can take the easy way out of a problem knowing that there could be someone who has to pay the price for me.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Deepcrush wrote:While I'm very very very tempted. I'm going to say no. I don't think I can take the easy way out of a problem knowing that there could be someone who has to pay the price for me.
Yeah, I'm in the same boat, I don't care who it may be, they shouldn't die because I want to take the easy way out.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Not sure I could live with someone dying so I could get a bailout.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

The materialistic temptation of the money is insanely strong. However, I really don't think I could have a person's life on my conscience.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Curious that one person voted yes... but didn't say why...

I vote no. I don't think I could have it on my mind the rest of my life.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'd push it, but I'm a total bastard.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Not a chance in hell. I then beat the ever-loving shit out of the person who gave me the box.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tyyr wrote:I'd push it, but I'm a total b*****d.
Ditto. Especially given the circumstances described. If it were described as a random person, without the proviso that I don't know them, then it might well be another matter, or even given my current circumstances rather than those described, but as it stands I'll take the money and do my bit to relieve global overpopulation.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

In 80 years the person would be dead anyway. And every second or so several people die. this is just another one.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

What's the difference between this person and the other 160,000 that'll die today I don't know?
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

You are responsible for this one's death. You aren't responsible for the other 160,000.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

What's the difference between this person and the other 160,000 that'll die today I don't know?
One could say the same about any murder, yet it's still prosecuted.
email, ergo spam
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

There's no way I'd take that deal.

If the box said, "Push the button, get a million dollars, and some child rapist somewhere will die" I'd push it every five seconds.

For the next ten years.

Otherwise, no f*cking way.

EDIT: Actually, if the box did that, I'd do it for free.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

You could just as easily say, "Take a bite of your sandwich and somewhere in the world someone that you don't know will die."

Well, you never said I was responsible for it, just that somewhere in the world someone's going to die. In the time I've written this message nearly thirty people have died. So there's a good chance that as I push the button to post, someone is keeling over.