No, I would not push the button
64%

Total votes: 22
sunnyside
Captain
Captain

Re: The Box - what would you do?

Post by sunnyside »

While perhaps now what you're trying to get at, I wouldn't push the button simply because I wouldn't trust the premis.

More likley the thing is a bomb, or somebody trying to videotape me being a bastard or something. I'd probalby call the cops to investigate and get it off my property safely.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:...But why would I ever purchase a handgun if I don't ever intend to kill someone?
Sport shooting, competition shooting, cowboy action shooting...

None of these things involve killing anyone.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Ian beat me to the punch, in saying that self-defense with a handgun DOES involve the attempt to kill someone.
Tsukiyumi wrote:Sport shooting, competition shooting, cowboy action shooting...

None of these things involve killing anyone.
All of which are situations which are based on practicing to be better able to kill someone.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Not necessarily. I had a friend who did competition shooting for a living, and another friend who's looking into doing cowboy action shooting for a living.

I mean, that's like saying the javelin throwers at the Olympics are training to kill people better. Javelins are weapons, right? How about people who train in Kendo? Swords are weapons too. I'm saying that training to use a weapon doesn't necessarily imply intent to kill people.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Training to use a weapon better improves concentration, aim and coordination.

The box kills someone.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Aye, just cause a skill could be used to kill someone, doesn't automatically mean a person learning it is a murderer waiting for his chance to kill. Hell, there are plenty of skills you could learn that you could use to kill someone with that have nothing to do with weapons at all. Who here has a driver's lisence? Well guess what, you're a potential killer, all you need is an excuse and opertunity to run someone over, right?
Uzume
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Uzume »

Well you know I agree w/P. :seesaw: :sword: :seesaw:
Mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter. - Anonymous
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

sunnyside wrote:While perhaps now what you're trying to get at, I wouldn't push the button simply because I wouldn't trust the premis.

More likley the thing is a bomb, or somebody trying to videotape me being a b*****d or something. I'd probalby call the cops to investigate and get it off my property safely.
Well I saw the film this weekend. It's a truly stupid film. I'll not spoil it here, for those misguided enough to see it. However, I will tell you that the box is completely empty, the button is not linked to anything inside. It's a wooden box, with a metal button on the top. They open it by simply removing a few screws and as I said it's empty. The devil is not involved in the film, something else is though. So I was correct, there's no way you can understand the workings of the box, it does what it says on the tin.

As for the other thing about guns. The principal is still sound. Nit pic all you want the primary question remains. Are you going to kill people who sell guns for murder (if you want it that way). You wanted to kill the guy with the box, does that extend to people selling weapons with the direct purpose of killing someone?
email, ergo spam
SteveK
Ensign
Ensign

Post by SteveK »

It's interesting how few people would take the money. Is pressing the button for a million dollars any different from buying a coffee? The money you spend on a coffee could keep some random African alive (if donated to an effective charity) for another couple of days. So shouldn't we all forgo coffee? But why stop there?
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Well, if everyone stopped buying coffee what happens to the workers in the cafe, or the bean pickers etc.

Donating all your money sounds nice in theory, but our economy would tank pretty quickly.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

SteveK wrote:It's interesting how few people would take the money. Is pressing the button for a million dollars any different from buying a coffee? The money you spend on a coffee could keep some random African alive (if donated to an effective charity) for another couple of days. So shouldn't we all forgo coffee? But why stop there?
Not choosing to give money to a charity, worthy and life-saving though it may be, is NOT nearly the same as actively choosing to kill someone.
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

IanKennedy wrote: and as I said it's empty. The devil is not involved in the film, something else is though. So I was correct, there's no way you can understand the workings of the box, it does what it says on the tin.

As for the other thing about guns. The principal is still sound. Nit pic all you want the primary question remains. Are you going to kill people who sell guns for murder (if you want it that way). You wanted to kill the guy with the box, does that extend to people selling weapons with the direct purpose of killing someone?
No, the principle is not sound. A gun can be used for competition shooting and increases your skills. The box only kills.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

We've been through that. That doesn't address how Ian just amended his question. He most recently said (my emphasis: )
IanKennedy wrote:Are you going to kill people who sell guns for murder... does that extend to people selling weapons with the direct purpose of killing someone?
In other words, a gun dealer sells a gun to someone, knowing (or even guessing) that the customer's intent is to kill a person with said gun. Do you, therefore, decide to kill the gun dealer?
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mikey wrote:We've been through that. That doesn't address how Ian just amended his question. He most recently said (my emphasis: )
IanKennedy wrote:Are you going to kill people who sell guns for murder... does that extend to people selling weapons with the direct purpose of killing someone?
In other words, a gun dealer sells a gun to someone, knowing (or even guessing) that the customer's intent is to kill a person with said gun. Do you, therefore, decide to kill the gun dealer?
Yup, that's it.
email, ergo spam
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Wouldn't that make the dealer an accessory to murder?
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington