[Science] Antimatter detected in thunderstorms

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

[Science] Antimatter detected in thunderstorms

Post by Captain Seafort »

Source
WASHINGTON - Designed to scan the heavens thousands to billions of light-years beyond the solar system for gamma rays, the Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope has also picked up a shocking vibe from Earth. During its first 14 months of operation, the flying observatory has detected 17 gamma-ray flashes associated with terrestrial storms - and some of those flashes have contained a surprising signature of antimatter.

During two recent lightning storms, Fermi recorded gamma-ray emissions of a particular energy that could have been produced only by the decay of energetic positrons, the antimatter equivalent of electrons. The observations are the first of their kind for lightning storms. Michael Briggs of the University of Alabama in Huntsville announced the puzzling findings November 5 at the 2009 Fermi Symposium.

It's a surprise to have found the signature of positrons during a lightning storm, Briggs said.

The 17 flashes Fermi detected occurred just before, during and immediately after lightning strikes, as tracked by the World Wide Lightning Location Network.

During lightning storms previously observed by other spacecraft, energetic electrons moving toward the craft slowed down and produced gamma rays. The unusual positron signature seen by Fermi suggests that the normal orientation for an electric field associated with a lightning storm somehow reversed, Briggs said. Modelers are now working to figure out how the field reversal could have occurred. But for now, he said, the answer is up in the air.

Recording gamma-ray flashes - which have the potential to harm airplanes in storms - isn't new. The first were found by NASA's Compton Gamma-ray Observatory in the early 1990s. NASA's RHESSI satellite, which primarily looks at X-ray and gamma-ray emissions from the sun, has found some 800 terrestrial gamma-ray flashes, Briggs noted.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: [Science] Antimatter detected in thunderstorms

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Well, I can't say I saw that coming. :?

Very cool. Good find, Seafort.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Kudos goes to "dragon" on SDN - he (she? it?) posted it there.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Cool...
email, ergo spam
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Very.

Given the energy released in a bolt of lightning I'm not surprised some weird shit can happen. Didn't really expect this but still, pretty cool.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Wow, very cool.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

I sense a Trek episode where the ship is flung back into time and has to get back to the present by getting itself struck by lightning whilst doing 88 miles per second.
Last edited by kostmayer on Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

"Hang on, Captain; you're about to see some serious sh*t!"
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Lightning is the shiz-nit, man... creates ozone and powers starships...

TBH, I'd be very surprised if this didn't have something to do with blue sprites and other energetic phenomenon associated with violent, high-level storms.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mmmmmm, blue Sprite.... :Drool2:
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Hmmm... not bad...

I'm thinking club soda, vodka, triple sec, and blue curacao.

Or, as Moe would say, maybe even quadruple sec too.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Mega cool. 8)

Hell, though, we don't even have a concrete explanation for ball lightning, let alone what might happen in space. Hardly surprising to find something new on Earth.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

Tyyr wrote:Very.

Given the energy released in a bolt of lightning I'm not surprised some weird s**t can happen. Didn't really expect this but still, pretty cool.

1.21 Jiggawatts??? b :mrgreen:
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Mark wrote:

Given the energy released in a bolt of lightning I'm not surprised some weird s**t can happen. Didn't really expect this but still, pretty cool.

its Gigawatts :poke:
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Lt. Staplic wrote:
Mark wrote:

its Gigawatts :poke:
Whatever... :whack:
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."