Fantasy Universes

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Fantasy Universes

Post by Monroe »

Okay yes it did come across my mind what a DITL Fantasy universe would look like, yes I'd love to make one, no that's not what this thread is about :P

I'm just curious how many people on this forum like fantasy settings? I'd love to have an RP set in one one day. Maybe when some of the current ones die out or finish up. But I honestly have no clue if anyone but me even enjoys them. I know Deep's girlfriend plays WoW and I could probably twist Shaura's arm into joining one but beyond that I'm a bit clueless about people, specifically those who like to participate in RPs look at Fantasy roleplaying.
Last edited by Monroe on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Fantasy Universes

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I'm into a few fantasy universe's but I wouldn't go so far as to say I prefer them to Sci-Fi.

If we got one going I might be interested.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Fantasy can be fun but it holds nothing to sci-fi IMO
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I would agree. Fantasy has its limitations, same as sci-fi. The problem with Fantasy is a lot of it would have to be explained away as "magic" in some degree which isn't really something I sit well with.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Alright ignore my fantasy versus Sci-fi comment :P I'm editing it out of my post. Who would be interested in an eventual fantasy RP?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm fond of good fantasy, but that's getting increasingly hard to find lately.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Rochey wrote:I'm fond of good fantasy, but that's getting increasingly hard to find lately.
Piers Anthony does some good stuff; Roger Zelazny as well, and Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series is awesome, if you have time to read 14 very long books.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Ask to read my draft Rochey. >.>

If we did a fantasy RP it would probably be pretty standard. I'd use a D&D setup for creatures. Maybe borrow some from Elder Scrolls and WoW.

-Remain Star Trek-
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Sort of like how the current 40K RP is going?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I like fantasy if its good. I usually prefer it to sci-fi.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Rochey wrote:Sort of like how the current 40K RP is going?
Yeah. I'd have to see who all is interested though. So far just me and Staplic.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'd go for it, though my tastes lie far more towards the Conan end of the spectrum. Limited magic, big swords, tiny bikinis on the women.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Tyyr wrote:I'd go for it, though my tastes lie far more towards the Conan end of the spectrum. Limited magic, big swords, tiny bikinis on the women.
Mine too. Actually in my draft I wrote there's virtually no magic. There would be some in the RP though simply to please the most people.

-Remain Star Trek-
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'd go for it. I like the idea of being an archer/scout type character.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I would go for it. However, I am certainly not a particular fan of sword play. Nor magic play. I find huge swords difficult to see as realistic, as well as magic.

I'm such an easy man to please :D