DITL Species 8- Allignment

What should be the alignment of the main culture?

Poll ended at Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:32 am

Aggressive
6%
Creative
9%
Expansive
21%
Financial
No votes
Industrious
21%
Organized
3%
Philosophical
6%
Spiritual
No votes
Imperialistic
15%
Protective
15%
Charismatic
No votes
Stoners
3%

Total votes: 33
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

DITL Species 8- Allignment

Post by Monroe »

Week One we decided it is a Fungal creature
Week Two we decided that it would live off decay and consumption
Week Three we decided it would use ganglion- brains spread throughout its body in clusters.
Week Four we decided it would use spores in an asexual form of reproduction.
Week Five we decided that the creature was 'type D' meaning long lived but had very few offspring.
Week Six we decided that the species would live in large hives.
Week Seven we decided that the species natural habitat would be a primordial tropical swamp... leaning towards swamp.

This week we decide on the alignment, for loss of a better term, of their dominant culture. In the future we'll be deciding if they are part of the UFP or another Empire and if they are just assume they worked their way past that :P Took me awhile to think of how to put this in pull terms but I think Civilization IV did it best.

Aggressive - Military Conquest is a chief element in their society
Creative - Works of art in music, literature are highly prized. Very scientifically based.
Expansive - Depending on what its teamed up with can mean colonization or a rapidly growing Empire.
Financial - Maybe a whole planet that's economy runs like Iceland... hopefully they have a better ending.
Industrious - Morgan from Civ Alpha Centauri would love them.
Organized - Castes and bureaucracy
Philosophical - The best thinkers of the Galaxy
Spiritual - Highly religious.
Imperialistic - Works well with expansive but they like client kingdoms and satellite nations.
Protective - Get off my lawn!
Charismatic - Culture is highly sought after. Think of American culture on Earth today. Infomercials for fungus color changing and how to get the decaying neighbor out of the freezer. Just 19.95.
Stoners- Liberal stoners living off smoking spare body parts and living off a diet of government cheese.

You're allowed to vote 2 things but the top 3 will win. The first two will be dominant traits and the third will be a recessive that is there in the culture just not noticeable by the people of the culture but someone on the outside might take notice.

I think this is where the thread series starts to become really fun since we now have a species now we design the empire or lack there of.
Last edited by Monroe on Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: DITL Species 8- Allignment

Post by Teaos »

I would of liked a passive option, Kind of just cruises through life not caring about anything. Like galactic stoners.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Teaos wrote:I would of liked a passive option, Kind of just cruises through life not caring about anything. Like galactic stoners.
Done... I just hate to see an aggressive stoner race. Or an Imperialistic stoner race.
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I voted charasmatic stoners. Highly cultural nut very passive, no on hates them because they do nothing to annoy anyone.

Respected but not exactly a huge power.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

"Creative" and "philosophical" for me - I think a long-lived species would be more prone to explore areas like that, and those tendencies would be supported by both the hihg-density population centers and the individuals' variegated central nevous systems.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Wow, its a multi way tie.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I like the idea of an industrious and rather territorial race. For a hive-type race, that would be appropriate. I can see them churning out a lot of high-quality tech, both for export and use in their own empire. But may the gods help you if they catch you tresspassing in their space.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

"You can own this new chair designed by mushrooms!"

Sorry, but I can't see that working to well.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Why not? I see no reason why they couldn't think "well, this is what a human looks like, this is what a human looks like in a comfortable sitting position, so how do we allow him to maintain that position while resting?".

And I was thinking more along the lines of technical stuff, rather than furniture. You may not want a chair designed by fungii, but what about this new and improved tricorder?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
JudgeKing
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by JudgeKing »

Aggressive Stoners
There is not a problem in this world that can't be solved without the proper application of a sufficient number of thermonuclear ordnance.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

That is a scary combo.

Rochey, I see your point. I'd change my vote, if I could. But for now I am content with what I have.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

stitch626 wrote:That is a scary combo.

Rochey, I see your point. I'd change my vote, if I could. But for now I am content with what I have.
You can change your vote ;) Revoting is allowed on all DITL Species threads.

I went with aggressive imperialistic. I want the next big baddies for the Federation.

-Remain Star Trek-
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Industrious and expansive.

Industrious because well... a hive culture will have to deal with resource allocation and production.
Expansive because sooner or later that hive will get over populated. Time to find some new homes.

I like the idea of a long lived race that is interested building outwards as much as possible. Always looking to the future and whats around them. The belief of "what can we do next to top this?"
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I voted Orgonized and Impirialisteic: I see them developing much the same way of the modern powers...going through periods of plight and war and reorgonizing to become stronger and fighting to expand outward.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

I voted Imperialistic and Expansive.

If you have work on the hive thesis, as Deep said, they will have to find new homes when the population gets too high. Thats when you get a second hive on another colony world. That could operate as a governmental satellite, sort of like the Soviet block. Controlled by the main colony, but a separate colony.