Total votes: 16
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

DITL Species 7- Environment

Post by Monroe »

Week One we decided it is a Fungal creature
Week Two we decided that it would live off decay and consumption
Week Three we decided it would use ganglion- brains spread throughout its body in clusters.
Week Four we decided it would use spores in an asexual form of reproduction.
Week Five we decided that the creature was 'type D' meaning long lived but had very few offspring.
Week Six we decided that the species would live in large hives.

Week 7 we decide on natural habitat. This will help determine the look and natural defenses of the creature.

1) Swamp Land
2) Desert
3) Plains
4) Savannah (hot plains)
5) Arctic
6) Salt Flats
7) Sulfuric Lakes
8 ) Volanic
9) Tropical
10) Void
11) Underground
12) Temperate Mountain
13) Frozen Mountain
14) Some Giant weird Coral Reef world
15) Gas Giant

Revoting is allowed as usual. One vote per user. And someone please lock the previous week's thread. (But keep open the creature submission one).
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
shran
Commander
Commander

Re: DITL Species 7- Environment

Post by shran »

Guven they need decay and consumption to feed, there has to ben sufficient amounts of life, so places like volcanoes aren't that likely, as only extremofiles go there.
A sulfuric lake could come into existence from a lot of rotting, thus securing one version of the way of feeding, next may be that the creatures carry this lake in their mouths, in which things like flies wander, in which they drown. Something like a pitcher plant. In the meantime, insects and the like can be found in most places, thus ensuring that these creatures could still spread over a large distance.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think this is a bit artificial. What's a human's environment? We don't have one. We've spread across pretty much every climate there is. There's little reason another sapient species wouldn't spread across its own planet as well.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I think he's referring to the type of environment in which the species evolved into its present form. That said, I went with "swamp" as it allows for plentiful "food" and because I envision these guys as being rather sensitive to temperature extremes.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'm going for tropical. Lots of dead material to feed off of in jungles. And a giant fungus creature just seems to fit in nicely.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Rochey wrote:I think this is a bit artificial. What's a human's environment? We don't have one. We've spread across pretty much every climate there is. There's little reason another sapient species wouldn't spread across its own planet as well.
Savannah is our natural habitat. So we evolved an upward way of walking to see over grasses. No need for the climbing tools of our simian cousins either.
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Fair enough. I wasn't sure what you meant by environment.
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

I like temperate mountain myself, because it means that it will have lots of organisms to feed off of, and it's somewhere you wouldn't really expect a fungal creature to be. So it's just fun in my mind.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I'm going cold mountain, it explains a lower population and large size, the bigger you are the better you retain heat.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:...I went with "swamp" as it allows for plentiful "food" and because I envision these guys as being rather sensitive to temperature extremes.
Agreed. It's the most logical option. Where do you find the most fungus out of all these options?
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Tsukiyumi wrote:
Mikey wrote:...I went with "swamp" as it allows for plentiful "food" and because I envision these guys as being rather sensitive to temperature extremes.
Agreed. It's the most logical option. Where do you find the most fungus out of all these options?
Well trogodites are often fungal in nature (underground).

-Remain Star Trek-
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I went with swamp, by definition they're full fo death and decay.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

I went with tropic. Makes sense for both food reasons and habitat reasons. Swamps are very much 2D which won't work well in the hive sense. There has to be room for growth. Also the tropics support far more life then you'll find in swamps meaning greater food supply.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Teaos wrote:I'm going cold mountain, it explains a lower population and large size, the bigger you are the better you retain heat.
If you're warm-blooded. If not, larger size just means more surface area from which to lose heat.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

But the volume to surface area ratio is far lower.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.