Echinoderm
8%

Total votes: 13
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

DITL Species 3- Nervous System

Post by Monroe »

Week One we decided the creature would be fungal / plant in nature.
Week Two we decided the creature would receive most of its nutrients through decaying matter and consuming what it needs to make up the difference.

Week Three we will decide what kind of nervous system it has.

Central Nervous system: Dominates the Galaxy's intelligent life forms. One brain that dictates the actions of the rest of the body.

Ventral Nerve Cords: to quote Wikipedia-
The ventral nerve cords make up the nervous system of some phyla of the invertebrates particularly within the nematodes, annelids and the arthropods. It usually consists of cerebral ganglia anteriorly with the nerve cords running down the ventral ("belly", as opposed to back) plane of the organism. This characteristic is important in qualifying the difference compared to the chordates which have a dorsal nerve cord.

Ventral nerve cords from anterior to posterior (the thoracic and abdominal tagma in the arthropods) are made up of segmented ganglia that are connected by a tract of nerve fibers passing from one side to the other of the nerve cord called commissures[1]. The complete system bears some likeness to a rope ladder. In some animals the bilateral ganglia are fused into a single large ganglion per segment. This characteristic is found mostly in the insects.
Basically an elongated brain or a spinal cord that also thinks.

Ganglion clusters-
The head segment contains the brain, also known as the supraesophageal ganglion. In the insect nervous system, the brain is anatomically divided into the protocerebrum, deutocerebrum, and tritocerebrum. Immediately behind the brain is the subesophageal ganglion, which is composed of three pairs of fused ganglia. It controls the mouthparts, the salivary glands and certain muscles.
Basically a series of minibrains so that damage to one will affect one part of the animal's behavior and not kill it.

Echinodermic
Echinoderms have rather complex nervous systems, but lack a true centralized brain. All echinoderms have a network of interlacing nerves called a nerve plexus which lies within as well as below the skin.[16] The esophagus is also surrounded by a number of nerve rings which send radial nerves that are often parallel with the branches of the water vascular system. The ring nerves and radial nerves coordinate the sea star's balance and directional systems. Although the echinoderms do not have many well-defined sensory inputs, they are sensitive to touch, light, temperature, orientation, and the status of water around them.[17] The tube feet, spines, and pedicellariae found on sea stars are sensitive to touch, while eyespots on the ends of the rays are light-sensitive.[18]
We would of course for an intelligent creature allow the possibility for better sensory organs.

Vote for one thing, revoting is allowed. And someone please lock week 2's thread.
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: DITL Species 3- Nervous System

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Monroe wrote:...And someone please lock week 2's thread.
Done. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Aaron
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Aaron »

I voted Ventral, purely because nematodes appear in Spongebob Squarepants.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Cpl Kendall wrote:I voted Ventral, purely because nematodes appear in Spongebob Squarepants.
Hard to argue with that logic. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I'll go for ganglion clusters. Bit more interesting than just a normal brain, and might increase survivability.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Thats what I was thinking.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Same here.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Same here. But the Spongebob logic is hard to argue.
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Monroe wrote:Same here. But the Spongebob logic is hard to argue.
Yes. Yes it is.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

oh forgot to say Ventral nerve cords and Echinoderm both allow the possibility of being cut in half (or whatever) and regrown into two identical creatures. That might make people in favor of one of those.

-Remain Star Trek-
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Monroe wrote:oh forgot to say Ventral nerve cords and Echinoderm both allow the possibility of being cut in half (or whatever) and regrown into two identical creatures. That might make people in favor of one of those.
Right. I should have remembered that anyways; I cut my science-class flatworm into 22 pieces, and eight of them turned into new ones. :lol:

I'm changing my vote.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Basic creatures are basic, with a species with higher though processes you'd imagin cutting it in half would result in loss of function.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Teaos wrote:Basic creatures are basic, with a species with higher though processes you'd imagin cutting it in half would result in loss of function.
Yeah I'd assume it'd result in basically knocking it back to childhood or retardation.

-Remain Star Trek-
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Maybe not, its just one might remember people and places and another knows how to do math. Cut someone in the right place and you might actually create a evil twin if one side doesnt have the part of the brain that involves morals.

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Teaos wrote:Maybe not, its just one might remember people and places and another knows how to do math. Cut someone in the right place and you might actually create a evil twin if one side doesnt have the part of the brain that involves morals.
True. I suppose if that nervous system wins we'd have to do another poll on what happens if you cut it in half. I was going to do reproduction next week regardless so we wouldn't get off track.

-Remain Star Trek-