Design a Species

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Design a Species

Post by Teaos »

They could be ambibious, and yes there would be issue, and it would be far harder for them to advance, but it wouldnt be impossible, which is all you need for it to be possible.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

If they were amphibious, it's possible, but still unlikely.
If they're aquatic, not a chance. No one's going to discover fire underwater, and fire is the basis of all civilisation.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

You don't need fire, just intence heat, such as you find in underwater volcano spouts ect.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Even that puts a lot of limitations on it. Unlike fire, volcanic vents can't be moved around, or set up anywhere you wish. They also may not necessarily run on a fixed schedule, making it difficult to know when they'd be useable.

Let's presume for a moment that they do somehow harness these things for a reliable source of heat. How then do they move to electricity?
Nuclear power?
Aircraft?
Spacecraft?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Exactly. Like I said, we could sci-fi an explanation, but I'd like to see it. The issue of digits is easier to get around - webbed extremities.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Mikey wrote:Exactly. Like I said, we could sci-fi an explanation, but I'd like to see it. The issue of digits is easier to get around - webbed extremities.
Or tentacles. :wink:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

What about a symbiotic relationship with a type of coral? You know, the whole "living" starship thing?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

"living" starship
Noooooo!
No biowanktech! :x

I suppose we could always say a different alien race (Vulcans, perhaps?) came across their planet, realised this aquatic race were sapient, and introduced them to waterproof tech and manufacturing methods.
Coalition
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Coalition »

Got bored with one race for "Fire on the Suns", where we were simulating a Stargate verse. I designed a race that lived on a ~2.5 G homeworld. That gives you basically +1 to ground combat and endurance (attack and health). I then added more strength, claws, external armor, and internal toughness.

Here is the combat stats for a standard human with 1-pt rifles:

2,0,0,1 (2 pts of attack from regular weapons, no expendable defenses (shields), no special weapons, and only 1 health point)

Here are the stats for my truck drivers:
10,5,0,6 (10 pts of attack from claws and natural strength, has 5 hit points worth of exoskeleton, no special weapons, and 5 hit points from its internal toughness added to the 1 hit point of the critter itself; Not listed is where it carries 2 units of cargo)

Even more fun, the truck drivers above are cheaper because I don't have to buy weapons for them (cargo trucks are relatively free).

I also gave them higher intelligence (IQ 140 = average), and the ability to rapidly adapt (so I could research genetic technologies, to allow them to live in new environments and learn quickly). I got lucky in the first couple of turns of the game, and managed to set up a research series that would eventually allow my critters to live on any planet in the galaxy at base cost (no extra costs for weird local environments). I also researched genetic military tactics, meaning my troops knew the basics of combat right from being born. IIRC, I think I also managed to grab chameleon capability, making them harder to spot.

Unfortunately, they had almost no space combat capability, meaning in a regular FOTS game they would have been slaughtered.

It'd be fun to see these guys on DS9 once or twice. They would probably get incorporated/uplifted into the Federation if found, and a bar fight between them and Klingons would be interesting. Some possible quotes:

Random Klingon: "A Klingon does not just use weapons, a Klingon is a weapon."
(Critter then uses the Klingon as a club to beat up other Klingons in the bar)

Other Random Klingon: "A bar fight is much more fun when one is winning."
Critter: "Sometimes you have fun, sometimes the fun has you."

Plus their favorite sports game - Dodgeball. Played with a solid steel sphere 8 inches wide. As each opponent is knocked unconscious, they are removed from the field. Due to complaints about the referees at the end, the audience descends on the field and has a massive brawl (cue references to being a spectator sport)

AR-558 would have gone a lot differently with a few of these guys present. "Okay, your main opponent is a creature that likes to cloak and get into close range. How do they taste?"

Figure Tyranids with a sense of humor.

The other idea I had was a modified version of the critters from War against the Chtorr.
Relativity Calculator
My Nomination for "MVAM Critic Award" (But can it be broken into 3 separate pieces?)
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

I'm in, should be fun.

I've made my own species for my universe thread so it'll be cool to make another with a group this time :)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.