Design a Species

Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Design a Species

Post by Monroe »

So we had a design a starfleet ship earlier and I was thinking wouldn't it be awesome to design a species? Like every week we decide on something about them. Like first we could do classification (i.e. amphibian, mammal), then we could do genders, then we could do senses, and so forth. Eventually working our way up to culture of the species. Are they great warriors who cut off their own arms before going into battle like the Thaddash or they hide from every trouble imaginable like the Spathi.

So good idea? Yay or nay?
How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Design a Species

Post by Teaos »

I like the idea.

Something I learned while running the Battleship design project: Be careful what order you do things, decisions all ready made will effect future decisions and while it would be possible to go back and re do something things can become very messy then.

Think of all the sections you'd want to do then try to come up with some order that will be best for the project.

This idea if done well could produce a really interesting and unique species, not just another alien of the week.

Do you want to just design the species or decide things like where they are in space? How much space do they control? Tech level? Politics? Culture ect.

Could be really good.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I also like this idea, and officially endorse this thread. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

I think it'd be cool to design tech level, amount of space owned, that kind of thing.
None. They always surrender right before they finish the job and never tell you why.

-Remain Star Trek-
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Would be cool, I'd do that after the biological design process though as that would effect culture/tech ect.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I'd start with the type of species, then what sort of tech they'd need (or be able to use), then the level of advancement, then how much territory, then ship types, etc.

Teaos - nice concurrent post. :)
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
shran
Commander
Commander

Post by shran »

It'd be even better if someone noted all of this and used the gathered tech to create the species in say, Spore.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I like the idea.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I'll play in your sandbox, too.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

shran wrote:It'd be even better if someone noted all of this and used the gathered tech to create the species in say, Spore.
That's actually what gave me the idea. My brother got Spore for christmas and I've been wanting to steal it from him:P

-Remain Star Trek-
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I have a predetory, feline race coming to mind. An expansionist species, only about 50 or so years behind the major powers. Like the Hirogen, they hunt, kill, and eat they're prey. But every member of the society is in the "military", and they have a forced reproduction regimen. Each woman MUST have at least three cubs, or face being "re-consumed" as a failure by her family. They are quickly expanding and they're population and size are beginning be noticed by other powers.

More will be revealed.............can anybody help me with a name? Or have anything else to throw in the hat?
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Hmmm. I was thinking of something non-bipedal, perhaps a "floating" species like the artists' imaginings of what may live on gas giants. Something that isn't territorially aggressive toward UFP worlds, because they'd be useless to them for habitation, but may require them for mineral resources - or, that have motivations regarding territory or expansion which are completely incomprehensible to the UFP.
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I'm just going to wait for the poll, but I've always been a fan of aquatic species.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The problem I see with that - not an insurmountable one, considering that this is fiction - is fire. It's notoriously hard to have fire underwater, and it seems to be kind of a prerequisite for technological advancement.

Like I said, it's probably not a deal-breaker considering this is fiction, but I'd like to see the explanation. If there is a good one, I'd like to see an aquatic species too.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:It's notoriously hard to have fire underwater, and it seems to be kind of a prerequisite for technological advancement.
Not to mention the fact that fused limbs are much more effective when it comes to swimming - which means no opposable thumbs. I seem to remember having a similar debate once before...
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.