Racial Dot Density Map (USA)

Post by Nutso »

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_ ... acial.html

Blue = White
Green = Black
Red = Asian
Orange = Latino
Brown = Other
Segregation, diversity, and clustering become very clear when every human becomes a dot.

How diverse is your neighborhood really? This map by Dustin Cable at the University of Virginia’s Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service displays the population distribution of every person in America (as of the 2010 census) along racial and ethnic lines. The map features 308,745,538 dots, each smaller than a single pixel and each representing one person: Caucasians are blue, blacks are green, Hispanics are orange, Asians are red, and other races are brown.

The vast swaths of purple appear to show the racial diversity of some of America’s biggest cities. But if you zoom into the map and break these cities down at the neighborhood level, patterns of segregation become much clearer.
Link to Google map style interface for the Racial Density Map.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Racial Dot Density Map (USA)

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Fascinating map!

Though I am amused at the idea that it contains dots "smaller than a single pixel". :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

I'm colour blind so fuck that map.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So does nobody actually live in the eastern half of the country?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

It almost looks like whole states are empty.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

GrahamKennedy wrote:So does nobody actually live in the eastern half of the country?
Western, you mean. California is quite populous but much of the southwest is a desert, and the Rockies also help to break things up.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

OTOH, if you look in the desert southwest region there's one blob which must be Las Vegas.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:
GrahamKennedy wrote:So does nobody actually live in the eastern half of the country?
Western, you mean.
Doh, so I did. Thanks.
California is quite populous but much of the southwest is a desert, and the Rockies also help to break things up.
Makes sense, I guess. I always had the impression that it was way more distributed than that.
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Teaos wrote:I'm colour blind so fuck that map.
Yup, getting this issue too. It hurts to look at.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Damn you! I spent a good solid minute figuring out which way was East!

If the a dot a smaller than a pixel then it may lead to the conclusion that a single dot in the middle nowhere in a state may not show up.

I wonder why they can't make this half size or quarter size. So a pixel is two dots or four dots.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Sorry. but I actually laughed out loud at this comment. A few times actually...
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Holy shit Teaos! That was fucking clever. 8)
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Jim wrote:
Sorry. but I actually laughed out loud at this comment. A few times actually...
Clever lil bugger, ain't he?
Stan - South Park
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Wow, I was amazed at how much white there was, what no people live there? That's where I want to live, middle of no-where. Away from the constant drumbeat of rascism, sexism, can't say this, can't say that (oh my, you might offend someone). To get away from the premise that inanimate objects such as guns, drugs, knives, etc. are the cause of the worlds woes (truly idiotic that) and not the people that perpetrate the atrocities.

Sorry for the rant, it may be that I just hate people and want to be a hermit..........
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Vic wrote:Wow, I was amazed at how much white there was, what no people live there? That's where I want to live, middle of no-where. Away from the constant drumbeat of rascism, sexism, can't say this, can't say that (oh my, you might offend someone). To get away from the premise that inanimate objects such as guns, drugs, knives, etc. are the cause of the worlds woes (truly idiotic that) and not the people that perpetrate the atrocities.

Sorry for the rant, it may be that I just hate people and want to be a hermit..........
I can relate.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939