Why American Football is called "Football."

Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Re: Why American Football is called "Football."

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:
stitch626 wrote:Also, those u's are unnecessary and less efficient.
More elegant though.
Ah the U.S. and Great Britain, two great nations separated by a common language...
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

McAvoy wrote:The English language. The language that seems like it was created during a night of heavy drinking.
You're thinking of Welsh
Bite my shiny metal ass
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Griffin wrote:
McAvoy wrote:The English language. The language that seems like it was created during a night of heavy drinking.
You're thinking of Welsh
No, that's the language that was created during a bad trip.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Mikey wrote:
Griffin wrote:
You're thinking of Welsh
No, that's the language that was created during a bad trip.
Judging by my uncle, I'd say you may both be correct.
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

He invented Welsh?
Bite my shiny metal ass
Tinadrin Chelnor
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Tinadrin Chelnor »

Griffin wrote:He invented Welsh?
Haha, no. But he is Welsh, and if he and his family are anything to go by, they are barely sober and usually on some sort of trip. I must point out, he isn't my biological uncle, he married into the family (more fool him).
"No dictator, no invader can hold an imprisoned population by force of arms forever. There is no greater power in the universe than the need for freedom. Against that power, governments and tyrants and armies cannot stand."
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

McAvoy wrote:Nor put the letter u in a bunch of words... or drive on the wrong side of the road.
That's odd. Every time I've been in the US you are always driving on the wrong side of the road. Except in the USVA. :)
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is Welsh.
email, ergo spam
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

I hear you have a slight electric problem with your old hand-egg game the other night ;)
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

IanKennedy wrote:I hear you have a slight electric problem with your old hand-egg game the other night ;)
Over a week ago, but you're close. There was no problem with the game itself; the stadium, OTOH, had some electrical issues.
IanKennedy wrote:Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch is Welsh.
Am I correct in thinking that this (aside from "an") is actually the shortest word in the Welsh language? ;)
as Bull offed Custer
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Yes
Bite my shiny metal ass
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:There was no problem with the game itself
Other than one team standing around speculating while one of the other lot ran straight through the middle of them. Is tackling not allowed in handegg?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Mikey wrote:There was no problem with the game itself
Other than one team standing around speculating while one of the other lot ran straight through the middle of them. Is tackling not allowed in handegg?
I see you didn't watch the game on which you are commenting. Because of the uneven light conditions, play was suspended during the electrical issue. It did have an effect on the game, most definitely; San Francisco was getting their asses handed to them on a platter until the blackout provided them with what was, in effect, a twenty-minute timeout. If you are referring to the Niners running through the Ravens after the blackout, that was an effect of that time to plan and give a breather to the starting front five; if you are referring to the Ravens running through the Niners in the first half, that was an effect of good O-line play and a heck of a scheme to balance the attack, as well as strong special team play and a great individual effort by Kruger. Because of that suspension of play, however, no part of the game can said to have been changed directly due to lighting conditions.

Further, because of your preferences and geography, I should point out that "tackle" in American football does NOT mean to attempt to separate the ball from another player and then have that player flop to the ground feigning injury, as the term means in soccer.

*EDIT* Perhaps you are referring to the rushing yardage gained by Colin Kaepernik, in which case I must simply say that I have neither the time nor the patience - nor do you probably have the interest - to properly instruct you in offensive structures using the read option, nor even the proper execution of the play-action fake as it relates to various offensive sets, nor the utlization of the bootleg or designed rollout.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

I'm referring to the specific instance of the ball getting booted downfield, one bloke catching it, and running straight through the entire opposing team close enough that he was brushing elbows with them. Everyone else just stood (not charging forwards but standing) there without making the slightest effort to stop him.

Besides all that, the try shouldn't have counted as he didn't ground the ball. :P
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:I'm referring to the specific instance of the ball getting booted downfield, one bloke catching it, and running straight through the entire opposing team close enough that he was brushing elbows with them. Everyone else just stood (not charging forwards but standing) there without making the slightest effort to stop him.
You're referring to Jacoby Jones' TD kickoff return, then. Well, charging forward while attempting to cover a kick return is the surest way to put yourself in the wrong position to make a play; but be that as it may, it didn't appear that way to me so much as a well-blocked return combined with individual effort on Jones' part. However, I've been watching football for over three decades, and I fully admit that things might look very different to someone who is both unfamiliar and unconcerned with the sport.
Captain Seafort wrote:Besides all that, the try shouldn't have counted as he didn't ground the ball.
Good thing, too, because the play would have ended with a touchback being called.
as Bull offed Custer