Why American Football is called "Football."

Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Why American Football is called "Football."

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:Well, charging forward while attempting to cover a kick return is the surest way to put yourself in the wrong position to make a play
That was my point. Scotland scored a try against Italy on Saturday precisely because the Italians were running forward fast. The ball carried knocked on after being tackled, Scotland turned it over, and before the Italians knew what was happening (and because they were going forward as fast as he, from their perspective, was going backwards) Lamont was through them all the way to the try line. The lot who conceded that touchdown don't have that excuse.
it didn't appear that way to me so much as a well-blocked return combined with individual effort on Jones' part. However, I've been watching football for over three decades, and I fully admit that things might look very different to someone who is both unfamiliar and unconcerned with the sport.
I agree with the effort by Mr Jones - that's the furthest I've ever seen anyone run in American Football. My complaint is that the entire opposing team were standing within touching distance of him, with plenty of time to tackle him, and made no effort to do so.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:That was my point. Scotland scored a try against Italy on Saturday precisely because the Italians were running forward fast. The ball carried knocked on after being tackled, Scotland turned it over, and before the Italians knew what was happening (and because they were going forward as fast as he, from their perspective, was going backwards) Lamont was through them all the way to the try line. The lot who conceded that touchdown don't have that excuse.
Excepting the first and last sentence, I'm not even sure in which language is this paragraph.
Captain Seafort wrote:I agree with the effort by Mr Jones - that's the furthest I've ever seen anyone run in American Football.
In fact, it was initially a post-season record for the longest kickoff return (109 yds.) Later the league reversed that decision, calling it instead a 107-yd. return which tied for the post-season record.
Captain Seafort wrote: My complaint is that the entire opposing team were standing within touching distance of him, with plenty of time to tackle him, and made no effort to do so.
As I said, I didn't see it that way. Poor performance by the Niners' kick coverage unit was certainly a part of it, but total lack of effort certainly wasn't (to my eye.) Certainly many coaches in all sports preach that doing something - even it's wrong - is better than doing nothing; but you have to understand that attempting an open-field tackle against a runner with a north-south head of steam is both completely different than trying to stop a run from scrimmage, and something not accomplished by simply trying to tack to a good angle and launching yourself. I was pulling for the Ravens, so perhaps I was more inclined to see the good on their side rather than the bad on the SF side; and again, it could be a different perception based on our differing levels of familiarity with - and regard for - the game.

*EDIT* yet again, there are the so-called "wedge" rules that came into play a few years back, that woefully restrict the positioning of players on a kick coverage unit. Certainly these wouldn't much come into play once Jones was past his own 20-yard-line or so, depending on a few factors (I don't recall what the hang time of the kick was,) and I sure won't say that the Niners coverage unit did all it could; but it is an example of something that a more practiced eye sees that could look radically different to a more casual observer. To a casual observer of a soccer match, an offensive player on a solo breakaway who held up approaching the sweepers might look like a lazy bastard; while to you, your knowledge of the offsides rule is so ingrained that you wouldn't even have to consciously consider the rule to apply it to your analysis of the play.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Mikey wrote:Over a week ago, but you're close. There was no problem with the game itself; the stadium, OTOH, had some electrical issues.
Well time flies when you're on holiday... I believe the stopped the game when the lights went out so I would say the game had a problem with the electrical supply. I'm not suggesting that the players themselves batteries ran down. ;)
Mikey wrote:Am I correct in thinking that this (aside from "an") is actually the shortest word in the Welsh language? ;)
Pretty close, it's a place name.
email, ergo spam
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

IanKennedy wrote:Well time flies when you're on holiday... I believe the stopped the game when the lights went out so I would say the game had a problem with the electrical supply. I'm not suggesting that the players themselves batteries ran down.
I meant the actual gameplay didn't change. The players don't run on batteries, they run on andro and HGH. ;)
IanKennedy wrote:Pretty close, it's a place name.
No wonder even the Welsh don't speak Welsh anymore.
as Bull offed Custer
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Mikey wrote:
They do when drunk. It's either that or my mates just want to exclude me.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Griffin wrote:
Mikey wrote:
They do when drunk. It's either that or my mates just want to exclude me.
I talk like that when I'm drunk enough, too. That's not Welsh, it's just drunk.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Wait, there's a difference between being Welsh and being drunk?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Other than St George's Channel?
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:Wait, there's a difference between being Welsh and being drunk?
Yep - you can recover from being drunk.
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Thank you, that was straight off the cuff.
as Bull offed Custer
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

:laughroll:
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington