Petition for Bert and Ernie to get married circulating

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Petition for Bert and Ernie to get married circulating

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I''m... not 100% sure if this goes here, but it got a chuckle outta me.

Link
Should Bert and Ernie get married? Over 900 people think so.

A petition started by Lair Scott, exhorts the makers of Sesame Street to let the two old friends get hitched. Gay marriage became legal in New York this June, increasing the number of states in the country to do so to six.

The petition letter reads:

In this horrific age of LGBT kids taking their own lives, they need to know that they ARE BEAUTIFUL and their lives are worth living. Aside from those that are committing suicide, the bullies that facilitate these tragedies need to learn that homophobia is NOT okay. They need to know that acceptance of their fellow human beings would indeed plant a seed of peace that will reverberate throughout the world. We are not asking that Sesame Street do anything crude or disrespectful by allowing Bert & Ernie to marry. It can be done in a tasteful way. Let us teach tolerance of those that are different. Let Sesame Street and PBS Kids be a big part in saving many worthy lives.

The pair of puppets has long been rumored to be a veiled representation of a gay couple, though the Children's Television Workshop has denied that this is the case.

The petition echoes the message of the "It Gets Better" project, founded in 2010 following the suicides of a number of young gay men, including Tyler Clementi, Billy Lucas and others.

Reactions thus far have been mixed. An editorial in the New York Daily News, headlined "Folks who want a gay marriage for Bert and Ernie of 'Sesame Street' need to get over themselves," went on to say:

"Why stop there? Why not march Yogi Bear and Boo Boo down the aisle, too?... Some stages of life - for example, the years from 2 to 4 - must be walled off from the passions of adults."

Alyssa Rosenberg at Think Progress agrees, but for different reasons. If Bert and Ernie were gay, she would be all for a marriage, but Rosenberg has a problem with same-sex roommates being equated with gay couples.

"I think it’s actively unhelpful to gay and straight men alike to perpetuate the idea that all same-sex roommates, be they puppet or human, must necessarily be a gay couple," Rosenberg wrote. "Having close, affectionate friendships with another man doesn’t mean that you two are sleeping together."

Greg Kelly said on "Good Day NY" this morning that there are clear signs Bert and Ernie straight, but got tripped up by the picture on Bert and Ernie's wall.

"It's clearly a roommate situation," Kelly said. "They sleep in separate beds, the wardrobe, grooming."

He continued.

"However, they do have a picture of themselves on the wall, which would suggest, well, unusual behavior," Kelly said. "Not unusual, but that they… never mind."

Twitter is just starting to buzz with reactions. Many are encouraging circulating the petition, some are incredulous and others are having a laugh -- one user quipped that it Batman and Robin should be first.

Since its start in 1969, Sesame Street has traditionally taken on difficult subjects in an effort to educate children, including divorce, tolerance of racial diversity, and real life disasters like Hurricane Katrina and the September 11, 2001 attacks.

Recently, Archie Comics introduced its first gay character in Veronica. The first same-sex marriage on daytime TV occurred in 2009, on the soap opera "All My Children."
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Petition for Bert and Ernie to get married circulating

Post by Graham Kennedy »

"Why stop there? Why not march Yogi Bear and Boo Boo down the aisle, too?... Some stages of life - for example, the years from 2 to 4 - must be walled off from the passions of adults."
I wonder if they take this approach consistently? For instance, should the Flintstones be condemned because Fred and Wilma are married? They even kiss right there in episodes as I recall.

Personally I think it's a silly idea... simply because Bert and Ernie aren't gay. You want gay characters, make some. Don't pretend straight ones were gay all along. (I'm looking at you, Serena Southerlyn!)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'm not really sure how outing Bert and Ernie would accomplish anything as outlined in the opening paragraph. I'm not really sure teenage homosexuals are taking their social acceptance cues from Seaseme Street or that bullies care. And what does it really do for the children who watch the show? What's the point of doing this on a show aimed at the pre-K crowd?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

The point is to give some activists something about which to shout. Of course "Sesame Street" isn't the proper forum for any discussion of the matter - even early-outed gays wouldn't have realized their orientation while young enough to be in Sesame Street's demographic. While I am behind extending equal - not just equivalent - rights to anyone regardless of orientation, race, creed, etc., I wish the activists would find a proper forum in which to promote their ideas.

Medical marijuana is now legal in Jersey - does that mean that Big Bird should be shown on TV toking a big steamboat full of G13?
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

And the response...

bert and Ernie have no Sexual Orientation.

I love the "They do not exist below the waist' line.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

Am I the only one who sees this idea as incredibly sexist? It seems that male characters can't have any friends with out the notion that they're in a homosexual relationship, like how people say Kirk and Spock are. I doubt there would be this petition if it were Bertha and Emily.
Bite my shiny metal ass
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Don't be so sure - the "L" in LGBT tends to be the most militant part of the acronym.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I pretty much assume all women are bi until proven otherwise at this point.