Why biblical fundamentalism breaks down

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Why biblical fundamentalism breaks down

Post by Mikey »

Radio host and Orthodox Jew Dr. Laura Schlesinger commented that, according to Leviticus 18:22, homosexuality is an abomination and cannot ever be condoned.

The following was an open letter published on the internet in response:

Dear Dr. Laura:

Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding G-d's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination ... End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some other elements of G-d's Laws and how to follow them.

1. Leviticus 25:44 states that I may possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are from neighboring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of Menstrual uncleanliness - Lev.15: 19-24. The problem is how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

4. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself, or should I ask the police to do it?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an abomination, Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this? Are there "degrees" of abomination?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of G-d, if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle-room here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev. 19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football, if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev.19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair, like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14).

I know you have studied these things extensively and thus enjoy considerable expertise in such matters, so I'm confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that G-d's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your adoring fan.

James M. Kauffman, Ed.D. Professor Emeritus,
Dept. of Curriculum, Instruction, and Special Education
University of Virginia

PS (It would be a damn shame if we couldn't own a Canadian.)
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Why biblical fundamentalism breaks down

Post by McAvoy »

Excellent.

Though I doubt he will ever get a response. People like this rarely ever respond. In their mindset, I'm right, you're wrong. No debating.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

1 and 3 are my favorites.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Foxbat
Lieutenant jg
Lieutenant jg

Post by Foxbat »

...things that make you go 'hmmmm'.

:angel1:
"Nothing is more Airwolf than Airwolf!" http://www.ernestcline.com/spokenword/airwolf.htm
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Awesome. I love using the bible as a weapon. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

Well said.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

What's the obsession with Canadian slaves? Some Hispanic women would be far more fun.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:What's the obsession with Canadian slaves? Some Hispanic women would be far more fun.
Er, I think that's sort of beside the point.

(And believe you me, latinas can get to be super-high maintenance in a real hurry.)
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The whole point of the slavery thing is that when she gets into high maintenance mode your response can be, "Shut the fuck up."
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Still, I'm not sure it's worth it.
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Bartlet uses that in an early West Wing episode.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

I like that... the letter I saw and posted had absolutely no references to the "Ignorant Tight-Asses Club." :lol:
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Agreed, Latinas >>>> Canadians. Its like having sex with a woman's prayer groups mid sermon.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Deepcrush wrote:Agreed, Latinas >>>> Canadians. Its like having sex with a woman's prayer groups mid sermon.
I'll take your word for it. The closest I've come is the floor of a synagogue late in the evening.
as Bull offed Custer
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Give it a try.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu