Barack Obama: Struggling President or Hitler

Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Barack Obama: Struggling President or Hitler

Post by Nickswitz »

Yeah, they are usually talking about his "communist ideals" which shows how much they know about Hitler, or for that matter history in general.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Mikey wrote:
SolkaTruesilver wrote:Like you, I find it abhorrent to actually diminish the horror that was Hitler's regime as a mere political slander.
Didn't you post the OP?
*Sees the ditch dug by Solka's backtracking* He did.
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

Now, now, he is merely exploring all of the myriad facets of the argument, that's all. :twisted:
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Mikey wrote:
SolkaTruesilver wrote:Like you, I find it abhorrent to actually diminish the horror that was Hitler's regime as a mere political slander.
Didn't you post the OP?
Uhh... yes? How is that in contradiction?

The Onion's article was a jab at the people who use said slanderous analogy, which I find perfectly okay. If you can't make fun of the people who abhor, who can you make fun of?

And Striker, how the fuck was I backtracking?
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

By posting the article at all, whatever your intent, you are promulgating the ideas in it. The fact that the humor was poor and obfuscated adds to that effect. More to the point, the whole point of the alleged "joke" involves using Hitler as a light-hearted object of comparison, which is disgusting and sad, not to mentione puerile. By doing so, then claiming to deride the ideas thus put forward, you are engaging in what Striker mentions as "backtracking."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Thanks, Mikey. yes, that.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:By posting the article at all, whatever your intent, you are promulgating the ideas in it.
I'd disagree with this as a sweeping statement, as a lot of people have posted stuff from Fox, the Sun, Daily Mail, etc, with the explicit intent of taking the piss out of the idiocy in the article. However, in the case of someone posting an article, especially an editorial, without such explicit piss-taking (as with the OP), I agree wholeheartedly with your statement.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

I guess we simply see the OP article in different light, then. The point of putting a rational jugement of Obama's presidency in opposition of said puerile behavior made it quite explicit that they wanted to make fun of the latter. The inherent humour is in the pseudo-serious delivery, which made it for me (not for the majority of you, apparently).

It's not like they tried to find apologies for the people using the Hitler argument. They just delivered it as a "matter of fact", showing just how distorded and twisted these people's view of reality is by putting it next to what can be considered a genuine neutral analysis of the situation.

Hit or miss point of humour. Although I am puzzled why you guys took so fucking seriously an article that came from THE ONION and was posted in the "Humour, Trivia and Puzzles" subforum. If a mere 30-seconds joke put here in good faith hoping to make you laugh (but failed) infuriates you so much, how sad are your lives?

Lighten up, people! :happydevil:
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

SolkaTruesilver wrote: ...Lighten up, people! :happydevil:
Are you suggesting I'm fat? :P
Bite my shiny metal ass
Angharrad
Captain
Captain
Location: In the big chair, finally, swinging my feet 'cause I'm short. Lower the chair Scotty DAMMIT

Post by Angharrad »

I think he is. :wink:
“You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore.”

And then Buffy staked Edward. The End.

From Slave to Princess
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Solka, you're missing the whole point, which is another symptom of why I expect you don't understand why people are seeing you as the chief mover in this thread of disseminating the Onion's ideas. It isn't the fact of the Onion's little joke - it's the fact that the structure of this alleged joke makes light of Hitler's actions... and you follow it up by asking us to "lighten up" about the free usage of Hitler as a source of humor.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'd argue that my main problems were there was no punchline, what wasn't there wasn't funny, and it was two years late to actually be topical.

The Hitler thing kinda sucks too though.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Without the punch line there's no real point to the joke. It then just becomes a rude comment. The first being funny, the second being me.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu