The Customer is NOT always right.

SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Re: The Customer is NOT always right.

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Tyyr wrote:Can't blame her. Her boss hung her out to dry.
Can't anything be done about it? I mean... seriously. You can't tolerate somebody doing that kind of abuse on an employee, yet he did.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

If there's actual violence? No, the employer wouldn't even have any say in the matter as its no a criminal proceeding. The threat of violence is a different story. You could make a police report but nothing's likely to happen. They're busy with real violent crimes, not threatened ones and hurt feelings.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Tyyr wrote:If there's actual violence? No, the employer wouldn't even have any say in the matter as its no a criminal proceeding. The threat of violence is a different story. You could make a police report but nothing's likely to happen. They're busy with real violent crimes, not threatened ones and hurt feelings.
So yet again, we have to wait for somebody to get killed or abused to do something, eh?
Mark
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Mark »

I told her to PRAY for this broad to come down and actually do it. After all, this call had been noted, documented, logged, and reported to management, who chose to dismiss it. Should she actually get assaulted by this bimbo, she'll own the damned dealership.
They say that in the Army,
the women are mighty fine.
They look like Phyllis Diller,
and walk like Frankenstein.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:So yet again, we have to wait for somebody to get killed or abused to do something, eh?
Legally? Pretty much.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

In Texas, that sort of specific threat is a "terroristic threat", and is a felony. She could press charges if she chose to.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:
Tyyr wrote:If there's actual violence? No, the employer wouldn't even have any say in the matter as its no a criminal proceeding. The threat of violence is a different story. You could make a police report but nothing's likely to happen. They're busy with real violent crimes, not threatened ones and hurt feelings.
So yet again, we have to wait for somebody to get killed or abused to do something, eh?
Words are words only, actions are the only thing......actionable. There's a pun in there somewhere. :?
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tsukiyumi wrote:In Texas, that sort of specific threat is a "terroristic threat", and is a felony. She could press charges if she chose to.
Same in Jersey. Especially now that she's free of any obligation to her employer, she could press charges (and probably sue the company for not altering an unsafe work environment.) I had a boss from North Bergen (Tony Soprano country, for those who don't know Jersey) who heard about such a threatening call to one of our employees - the boss thereupon called back the threatening customer and basically told him "come at me, bro." I don't remember the exact wording of the whole conversation, but I do know that on my boss' side, the phrase "open your head up with a 2x4" was used.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tsukiyumi wrote:In Texas, that sort of specific threat is a "terroristic threat", and is a felony.
"Terroristic threat"? :lol: What bright spark dreamt up that language?

It's certainly an offence, but it's "threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour", contrary to section 4(1) of the Public Order Act 1986. Basically broad-brush legalise to sweep up gobby fuckwits.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Captain Seafort wrote:"Terroristic threat"? :lol: What bright spark dreamt up that language?
No clue, but it's been in place here for at least the last 20 years. If you specifically threaten to hurt or kill someone, it's a crime. At least as long as there are witnesses.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yep.

OTOH, when I was in truck sales I never had to worry about it. With 85% of my business involving dual-rear-wheel vehicles, often with no or unloaded bodies, I had a perfect excuse reason to carry a good old-fashioned hickory tire-knocker. Keep it in the tool box and you're fine. Keep it under the seat, and even Texan cops will arrest you for UPW.
as Bull offed Custer
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Mikey wrote:Yep.

OTOH, when I was in truck sales I never had to worry about it. With 85% of my business involving dual-rear-wheel vehicles, often with no or unloaded bodies, I had a perfect excuse reason to carry a good old-fashioned hickory tire-knocker. Keep it in the tool box and you're fine. Keep it under the seat, and even Texan cops will arrest you for UPW.
In the same idea, keeping a baseball bat in your car might get you in trouble. Keeping the same baseball bat with a glove and a few balls is just fine.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Yep. Apparent intent is everything. I've read of a guy in Dallas who was arrested - when pulled over for speeding, the cop found a tire-knocker under his seat (he was driving a half-ton pick-em-up truck, and often pulled duallie trailers.) If it were in the trunk next to the lug wrench, there would have been no problem.
as Bull offed Custer
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

BTW, for those unfamiliar with the "tool:" a tire-knocker (aka tire-thumper) is a club, generally hickory but sometimes aluminum or acrylic/epoxy, usually about 18" long and often with a turned or wrapped grip and a wrist-thong on the grip end. They sometimes taper from the business end to the grip, and are sometimes weighted toward the business end. Officially, they are used for thumping tires; a big truck has a lot of tires to check, and the inner ones on a duallie mount are hard to get at with a pressure gauge. So, you take a tire knocker and bang the sidewall - if you get a nice bounce and sharp "whack," you're OK to get on the road.

Unofficially, of course, they are simply a "get-away-from-me stick" in a size that's easily handled and controlled in one hand, and often weighted better than a police baton.
as Bull offed Custer
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Ah, the tire knocker. My dad had one of those when he was a truck driver, but 99% of its use was in an official capacity. The other 1 percent was across the cheekbone of a Mexican gang-banger knocking around his girlfriend on the side of the road because she threw up in his Impala. Dad said she was about maybe 6 months pregnant and this puntamadre is dragging her out of the car by the hair and backhands her for barfing in his ride. Dad saw it and pulls over while the guy is grabbing some rags out of the trunk of his lowrider and throws them to the girl to clean up the mess. As she starts cleaning, my dad (who at the time was about 6 feet tall and 200 lbs.) comes up to the guy and says very politely for the man to apologize to the lady, to which he told my dad to do something that would be physically impossible, and then makes the mistake of putting his hand on my dad. Without a word, my dad swung the tire knocker full force across the guy's face, breaking his cheekbone and sending the guy into the ditch. Then he asks the girlfriend (who now has a swollen cheek) if she's alright, and she yells at him for smacking her boyfriend! My dad just gets back in the truck and drives off.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-