The Customer is NOT always right.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: The Customer is NOT always right.

Post by Mikey »

Ergo, "demonstrable." Walk on my lawn? Iffy. Break into my house? Good enough for me to start swinging.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Foxfyre
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Foxfyre »

LOL reason I love this site, only here can a threat about customers being idiots turn into a depate about deadly force and self defense.

Anyways where I used to live in Illinois to defend your home the person must one be completly inside the house and two be armed and also had to have threatened you.
Genius insania et conseri manum
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Okay, for one thing, my dad came to the aid of a pregnant woman who was getting smacked around by her boyfriend. He carried the tire knocker in plain sight in his right hand just in case he needed it, which he did when the dork put his hands on my dad's chest and pushed hard and told him to "f@%k off". My dad didn't give him a chance to follow up and neutralized him by rendering him unconscious, fracturing his cheekbone in the process. Once he was down, my dad didn't continue turning him into a gooey red soup, but proceeded to try to help the girl, who decided to pull a Tammy Wynette and "stand by her man." Dad said he was kinda shocked, but just shook his head and went back to his truck.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

For what it's worth, I think your dad was 100% justified.
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Agreed.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Nickswitz »

Agreed here as well.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Eh, I think smashing the guy's face was maybe a little too much. I would simply have broken him arm.

But can't say he didn't deserved it.
Lt. Staplic
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral
Commendations: Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by Lt. Staplic »

Well it's not as if he chose to break the guys face, as oppossed to his arm. The guy touched him so he hit him with the tire knocker to get him off. He was successful in that regard. Everything else is just a side effect (i.e. the broken face)
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:But can't say he didn't deserved it.
Depends on what you're basing that on. For smacking his girlfriend around, fair enough, he needed to be stopped and there was no need to be gentle about it. As a reaction to getting shoved, on the other hand, "grossly disproportionate" is the only term that springs to mind.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Yeah, I'd say he was in the right.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:As a reaction to getting shoved, on the other hand, "grossly disproportionate" is the only term that springs to mind.
Depends. If the guy just gave Dad a shove, then maybe. If the guy shoved Dad and continued to move forward in a threatening manner, then not so much. That would be grounds for punching the guy, so why not punching the guy with an extra 15" of reach? It's not as if Dad's reaction was to use a firearm, or even a blade - the broken cheekbone was an unfortunate result, not a deliberate goal.
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Mikey wrote:Depends. If the guy just gave Dad a shove, then maybe. If the guy shoved Dad and continued to move forward in a threatening manner, then not so much.
If the bloke pulled out a knife or a firearm, fair enough. If not, then no.
That would be grounds for punching the guy
No, it wouldn't. If someone attacks you then you're entitled to defend yourself. A shove, while it would be enough to haul the bugger up in front of a magistrate, doesn't count. It certainly doesn't warrant assault with a deadly weapon occasioning GBH.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The defender could have as easily broken a cheekbone with a well-placed right hook as with his tireknocker.

Let's say a wildlife observer considers chimpanzees animalistic for eating live termites. Is one of those chimps any more animalistic for using a twig to dip termites out of their hill (which chimps do?) As I said, if it was a simple shove, then let it be. If the shover kept his hands on the defender a/o continued to threaten him by his actions, then have at it.

The above post comes, of course, from a man who hails from the country that invented the Millwall brick. :roll:
as Bull offed Custer