The Customer is NOT always right.

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: The Customer is NOT always right.

Post by Tsukiyumi »

mwhittington wrote:Ah, the tire knocker. My dad had one of those when he was a truck driver, but 99% of its use was in an official capacity. The other 1 percent was across the cheekbone of a Mexican gang-banger knocking around his girlfriend on the side of the road because she threw up in his Impala. Dad said she was about maybe 6 months pregnant and this puntamadre is dragging her out of the car by the hair and backhands her for barfing in his ride. Dad saw it and pulls over while the guy is grabbing some rags out of the trunk of his lowrider and throws them to the girl to clean up the mess. As she starts cleaning, my dad (who at the time was about 6 feet tall and 200 lbs.) comes up to the guy and says very politely for the man to apologize to the lady, to which he told my dad to do something that would be physically impossible, and then makes the mistake of putting his hand on my dad. Without a word, my dad swung the tire knocker full force across the guy's face, breaking his cheekbone and sending the guy into the ditch. Then he asks the girlfriend (who now has a swollen cheek) if she's alright, and she yells at him for smacking her boyfriend! My dad just gets back in the truck and drives off.
A model citizen, IMO.

And, of course, the woman gets mad at him. :roll:

This, folks, is why "chivalry is dead": people became tired of being insulted for being chivalrous.

Real quote: "I can open the door for myself, thank you!"

Me: "Fine. F*cking do it then."
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

That's right, if you wanna do it, then do it! Stupid women's lib sh*t! But if there's a spider or a mouse running across the floor, it's our job to kill it! :bangwall: Funny how it works out that way, huh Tsu?
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Most of the time, yes. Occasionally, you run across a chick like Uzume, who will try to race you to smash it. :lol:

She held off a cottonmouth in her ceiling using a broom. For four hours. It hopefully burned up in the fire when their house went up last year. :lol:
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

mwhittington wrote:Ah, the tire knocker. My dad had one of those when he was a truck driver, but 99% of its use was in an official capacity. The other 1 percent was across the cheekbone of a Mexican gang-banger knocking around his girlfriend on the side of the road because she threw up in his Impala. Dad said she was about maybe 6 months pregnant and this puntamadre is dragging her out of the car by the hair and backhands her for barfing in his ride. Dad saw it and pulls over while the guy is grabbing some rags out of the trunk of his lowrider and throws them to the girl to clean up the mess. As she starts cleaning, my dad (who at the time was about 6 feet tall and 200 lbs.) comes up to the guy and says very politely for the man to apologize to the lady, to which he told my dad to do something that would be physically impossible, and then makes the mistake of putting his hand on my dad. Without a word, my dad swung the tire knocker full force across the guy's face, breaking his cheekbone and sending the guy into the ditch. Then he asks the girlfriend (who now has a swollen cheek) if she's alright, and she yells at him for smacking her boyfriend! My dad just gets back in the truck and drives off.
As much as I believe there is no good reason to ever hit a woman, if she's like the above mentioned lady and is not only going to put up with her boyfriend smacking her around, but actually get upset when someone else intervenes on her behalf, then dammit it all but she deserves to get smacked around. I really feel bad for that woman's kid, I can't imagine how fucked up his childhood will be.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The kid will either be a guy who thinks hitting women is a perfectly acceptable way to communicate with them or a woman who thinks that it's ok if your boyfriend beats you up so long as they love you.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Post by SolkaTruesilver »

Lighthawk wrote:
As much as I believe there is no good reason to ever hit a woman, if she's like the above mentioned lady and is not only going to put up with her boyfriend smacking her around, but actually get upset when someone else intervenes on her behalf, then dammit it all but she deserves to get smacked around. I really feel bad for that woman's kid, I can't imagine how f***ed up his childhood will be.
While I understand the point, there is a difference between punching down a guy who beaten his gf (which is fine, acceptable and, I think, a civil duty) and using a tire iron to shatter his jaw, which will lead him in reconstructive surgery. Especially since the man with the weapon was the one who hit first.

It's like using an assault rifle to kill a mouse.
Lighthawk
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Missouri, USA, North America, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milkyway Galaxy, Local Group, Universe

Post by Lighthawk »

SolkaTruesilver wrote:While I understand the point, there is a difference between punching down a guy who beaten his gf (which is fine, acceptable and, I think, a civil duty) and using a tire iron to shatter his jaw, which will lead him in reconstructive surgery. Especially since the man with the weapon was the one who hit first.

It's like using an assault rifle to kill a mouse.
He had it coming. Not only for being the kind of douche-bag that would hit a pregnant woman for something that I rather doubt she did on purpose, but then for being dumb enough to first be an ass to and then lay hands on a big man holding a big club. Say what you will about who hit who first, but when someone is armed and you still antagonize them, you only have your own dumb self to blame if you get hurt.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Lighthawk wrote:He had it coming. Not only for being the kind of douche-bag that would hit a pregnant woman for something that I rather doubt she did on purpose, but then for being dumb enough to first be an ass to and then lay hands on a big man holding a big club. Say what you will about who hit who first, but when someone is armed and you still antagonize them, you only have your own dumb self to blame if you get hurt.
There is no argument that he was dumb as hell to provoke the Tire Iron-weilding 6-foot man. But it doesn't mean that the later was right to smash him in the face with a lethal weapon.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

The other guy put his hand on him first. That's assault.

The rest was self-defense.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Tsukiyumi wrote:The other guy put his hand on him first. That's assault.

And that's the law right there. No lawyer in the world would try and defend the idiot. Well... actually a lot of them would but you'd never see them argue assault and self defense.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Tsukiyumi wrote:The other guy put his hand on him first. That's assault.

It's fuzzy, IMHO, legally-wise.

Morality-wise, it wasn't an assault, just a (stupid moronic) guy having an outburst and trying (stupidly) to make the other big guy step back.

I can't say I regret the guy being wounded like that. Where a GF wouldn't have been angry at a guy simply punching her BF, it's (somewhat) understandable that she gets angry 'cause you just sent the father of her child to the hospital with a shattered jaw.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

And, in a situation like that, you punch the guy and he might pull his knife and gut you. One-hit knockouts are about as common as drug-free supermodels.

You don't take the chance.

Also, it's not fuzzy legally at all, at least not here. Assault is assault. Even spitting on someone is assault.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

No its really not. Just touching without consent is battery. If he pushed at all then its assault. Hell, if the trucker even firmly believed that the punk intended to try and harm him (with the laying on of hands being either the precursor or intended to intimidate with the threat of force) it can be prosecuted as assault in some places.

Fuzzy would be if the moron just made like he might attack the trucker. The moment he touched him it was game over.
SolkaTruesilver
Commander
Commander

Is this a State-level jurisdiction, or a National-level?

so I could effectively kill somebody 'cause he spit on me?

wo... You know, at some level, I am happy I don't live in that jurisdiction. I know it might be shitty at some level over here regarding self-defense, but I still prefer it.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Well, the response has to be somewhat proportional, of course. You could lay into someone for spitting on you, though.