10 stunning ultra-geeky home cinemas

Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: 10 stunning ultra-geeky home cinemas

Post by Deepcrush »

While STIII had its story uses, I didn't personally care for it.

STV was utter crap IMO.

The Death Star would have been nice if they had remembered to put a muffler on the tailpipe.
Jinsei wa cho no yume, shi no tsubasa no bitodesu
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Deepcrush wrote:While STIII had its story uses, I didn't personally care for it.
It did, however, have two of the best scenes in Trek
The Death Star would have been nice if they had remembered to put a muffler on the tailpipe.
Or if, hypothetically, they had masses of AAA around said exhaust, and tens of thousands of fighters to call on to defend it.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:Or if, hypothetically, they had masses of AAA around said exhaust, and tens of thousands of fighters to call on to defend it.
Or, if they went really hi-tech and put a grill over the vent.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Mikey wrote:Or, if they went really hi-tech and put a grill over the vent.
Assuming the exhaust stream doesn't vaporise it.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

Or if they didn't waste half an hour flying round a moon despite having a planet busting laser.

But going back to the topic at hand. Almost.

I like my home set up as it is. Little 24 inch screen. Cheap surround sound speakers. And best of all, my fridge and bathroom within 5 feet of my couch.
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

kostmayer wrote:Or if they didn't waste half an hour flying round a moon despite having a planet busting laser.
A planet-busting laser that a) was designed for Earth-type planets, not gas giants and b) had a non-zero recharge time.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I don't know if they fired that laser at the center of the gas giant, it may hit something. All that gravity should condense gas into liquid I would think. Then again your typical gas giant is much larger than your average Earth. Hell apparently, our Jupiter is tiny in comparison to the ones NASA has found.

I like my setup. I have a loveseat and a recliner facing towards my 46" LCD-LED screen with a full sized couch to the side. I have cheap $200 five speaker system, but it is good enough for me. At least for the time being.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Captain Seafort wrote:Assuming the exhaust stream doesn't vaporise it.
No assumption is necessary. The exhaust stream didn't vaporize the walls of the exhaust tunnel - just build the grate out of the same stuff.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote:I don't know if they fired that laser at the center of the gas giant, it may hit something. All that gravity should condense gas into liquid I would think. Then again your typical gas giant is much larger than your average Earth. Hell apparently, our Jupiter is tiny in comparison to the ones NASA has found.
The problem I see isn't so much whether the superlaser would hit anything - it's the effect (or lack thereof). Yavin's debris would only expand at a rate of one planetary diameter every nine and a half minutes. Assuming Yavin 4 orbits at the same relative distance as Jupiter's Galilean moons it would take the debris between one and four hours to reach the base. It would be much quicker (and more effective) to orbit the planet and fire directly.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:It did, however, have two of the best scenes in Trek
Two good scenes doesn't make for a movie IMO.
Or if, hypothetically, they had masses of AAA around said exhaust, and tens of thousands of fighters to call on to defend it.
Or all three of the above...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:Two good scenes doesn't make for a movie IMO.
They do, however, rescue it from being irredeemable shit like V and Nemesis.
Or all three of the above...
True, but given all the extra stuff it's understandable that they didn't go to the extra headache-inducing design work of physically protecting the shaft. There's a good chance they couldn't have anyway, for the same reason they couldn't ray-shield it. Ultimately the only real solution was the one they implemented for the Mk II - shrink the shaft considerably and put duplicates all over the station.
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

Captain Seafort wrote:They do, however, rescue it from being irredeemable s**t like V and Nemesis.
Ah, you are indeed correct.
Captain Seafort wrote:True, but given all the extra stuff it's understandable that they didn't go to the extra headache-inducing design work of physically protecting the shaft. There's a good chance they couldn't have anyway, for the same reason they couldn't ray-shield it.
It was rayshielded which is why they had to use torps and couldn't blast through it.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Deepcrush wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:True, but given all the extra stuff it's understandable that they didn't go to the extra headache-inducing design work of physically protecting the shaft. There's a good chance they couldn't have anyway, for the same reason they couldn't ray particle-shield it.
It was rayshielded which is why they had to use torps and couldn't blast through it.
Fixed. In my defence that was posted at half eleven on Friday night. :oops:
Deepcrush
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Deepcrush »

:lol:
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Deepcrush wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:True, but given all the extra stuff it's understandable that they didn't go to the extra headache-inducing design work of physically protecting the shaft. There's a good chance they couldn't have anyway, for the same reason they couldn't ray particle-shield it.
Fixed. In my defence that was posted at half eleven on Friday night. :oops:
Now is that 10:30 or 11:30?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."