Mac vs PC

Capt. Jethro
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Mac vs PC

Post by Capt. Jethro »

American by birth, southern by the grace of God!
Nickswitz
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Mac vs PC

Post by Nickswitz »

This was amazing, the cgi made it totally awesome, I hope he makes another one, that would be amazing. Thanks for giving us this vid.
The world ended

"Insanity -- a perfectly rational adjustment to an insane world" - R.D.Lang
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Wonderfully done. No way a PC would beat a Mac though. :)
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Very nice CGI. At first I thought it was going to be a boring video of them arguing. :lol:
My favorite part was "upgrading to XP".
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

stitch626 wrote:Very nice CGI. At first I thought it was going to be a boring video of them arguing. :lol:
My favorite part was "upgrading to XP".
Problem is that should have taken about an hour and required many re-boots as different service packs are installed. Plus, once XP was installed without SP2 the machine would be infected by viruses within moments, It takes less time to get infected than it does to download and install SP2, I've actually seen it happen.
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

And as I was the one he saw it happen to, I second that!
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Huh. Never had that problem. Had SP2 on the XP cd, so never worried about it.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

I lost my operating system once to a virus. Ian had to wipe and reinstall it, but we had a disc that was quite old. We loaded Windows up, and the very first thing we did was ask it to go download the latest updates from Microsoft. And that's literally ALL we did. Didn't go to any a single other website, didn't check email, didn't download anything else from anywhere else. Yet the computer was virus ridden before it had finished the first update cycle, literally within five minutes or so.

Stuff like that happened to me about once a year for three or four years. So I bought an iMac, and it's been absolute clear sailing ever since.
Capt. Jethro
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Capt. Jethro »

My first introduction to Mac was in the 80's when I was in college and had to write articles for my communication courses. On a side note during my college years I changed the error sound on a few of the computers. So instead of a 'ding' I had them to play a line from a TNG episode in which Picard said 'shields up, full reverse.' Or play the shortened TNG theme that played right before a commercial break. I got a kick out of watching the other student's reactions and found it difficult to finish my assignments. :Nerd:

The Macs were a hell of a lot better than Windows 3.1 (yeah I'm showing my age again). Fast forward years later and I've used W95, W98 and finally WXP. However once WV came out and I found out it wouldn't even support Office 2000, at least that was what I was told, I switched to Mac. That was about 18 months ago and I love it.

When ordering my Mac Book I did add Parallels and WXP for some work related items, but I rarely boot up XP. My only complaint about Parallels is that I am not able to play Bridge Commander on my Mac Book. The guys at the Apple store said I need to run boot camp in order to do this. But as a father of two small children and traveling due to work makes it hard to really be able to sit down and 'lock phasers on target.' Guess I'll have to wait till I retire in about 22 years. :bangwall:

Happy New Year everyone
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Have you tried parallels 4. It has support for DirectX 9 and multi-core CPUs. Would probably work.
email, ergo spam
Capt. Jethro
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Capt. Jethro »

IanKennedy wrote:Have you tried parallels 4. It has support for DirectX 9 and multi-core CPUs. Would probably work.
Isn't that the latest upgrade? I'll check it out.......THANKS!
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

Yes, it's a chargeable upgrade (upgrade $49.99)
email, ergo spam
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Only time I've really touched a Mac is when they had some at the library at Stevens Institute of Technology when I was a student there (in 2000-01). Most of the computers on campus were PCs, though. My own computers have been PCs, though I do now have a dual-boot system with XP one one drive and Kubuntu Linux on the other hard drive. Most commercial software is made for Windows only, but there is usually a Linux equivalent of any Windows program, and quite often for free, too! A lot of it you can download directly from the "package manager" in your system menu - in there I see over 25,000 packages available. Though, at least some software works for both Mac and Linux without modification - as Ian knows, they're cousins (the "geekiest" and "coolest" OS's, cousins, get that :? ), both derived from UNIX. Specifically, I have the Mac version of Matlab installed and running fine in Linux.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Reliant121
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Reliant121 »

Ahhhh last year I did a gifted and talented trip to Winchester University (the local one...well not closest, but the one actually worth considering :wink:)

They had a full suite of the things. Dear lord it was awesome. When i do the diploma (hopefully), the funding that the delivery school's are getting is paying for a full suite of the top of the range Mac's, exclusively for the use of the diploma students. some £1700 (schools pay more, charged more for being an institution :roll: ) of computer PER STUDENT. And the one i am assigned, only i can touch (from the students anyway)

oh lawdie :D

-heaven-