Carrie Fisher "was going to be the last Jedi"

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Carrie Fisher "was going to be the last Jedi"

Post by Graham Kennedy »

You should watch The Shining, it's a good movie. Though to modern eyes it probably seems horribly slow.

If you don't mind some spoilery discussion (if you do, stop now)

The thing that fascinates me about this film is that outside of the actual Shining itself, there's virtually nothing in it that is clearly supernatural. Yes, Jack talks to the bartender and other Hotel characters. But are they actually there, or is he an alcoholic slipping into delusion? There's a claim that every time he talks to one of these ghosts, there's a mirror behind them - the implication being that he's talking to himself. Even when his wife and kid sees them... shared delusion? It seems unlikely, but perhaps.

Buuuuut... if that's the case, then how did Jack get out of the refrigerator? Delusions don't unlock doors.

I don't think it quite works as a film where the supernatural aspects of the Hotel are totally ambiguous. It's unlikely that they would all develop the same delusions, after all, even if it's hypothetically possible. And the closing photo... that implies that something weird is going on. But it's an interesting idea to me, and it's one reason I like the movie.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...