Lucasfilm confirms the Boba Fett movie is “100% dead."

Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Lucasfilm confirms the Boba Fett movie is “100% dead."

Post by Nutso »

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2018/10/ ... -100-dead/
In the wake of the disappointing box office performance of Solo: A Star Wars Story, it was widely reported that Disney and Lucasfilm had decided to scrap all of their Star Wars spinoff plans in order to focus their attention on Star Wars: Episode IX and a subsequent trilogy which would conclude the story of Rey.

The report was quickly denied by Lucasfilm, with the studio stating that there are “multiple” projects moving forward, but it seems we can officially cross one Anthology film off the slate, as Kathleen Kennedy has reportedly confirmed that the long-planned Boba Fett movie is “100% dead” as Lucasfilm instead concentrates on the Jon Favreau-produced TV series The Mandalorian.

Although never officially announced by Lucasfilm, the Boba Fett movie has been in the works since 2013, with Fantastic Four helmer Josh Trank attached at one point before being fired over “creative differences”, and Logan director James Mangold signing on to write and direct earlier this year (whether Mangold has transitioned into a different Star Wars project or parted ways with Lucasfilm is unclear at this point).

So, unless Jon Favreau’s The Mandalorian throws us a major curveball and focuses on Boba Fett in some groovy new armor (or features him in a supporting role), it looks like the fan favourite bounty hunter is going to remain stuck in the belly of the sarlaac for the foreseeable future, finding a new definition of pain and suffering as he’s slowly digested over a thousand years.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Lucasfilm confirms the Boba Fett movie is “100% dead."

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

You know. I find some of the hatred for him a bit much. But he really is overrated.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:You know. I find some of the hatred for him a bit much. But he really is overrated.
Teenagers in the 70's idolized that guy. I never got it. The only thing impressive he did was not be intimated by Vader. I didn't know there was hatred of him though. What's to hate?
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Nutso wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:You know. I find some of the hatred for him a bit much. But he really is overrated.
Teenagers in the 70's idolized that guy. I never got it. The only thing impressive he did was not be intimated by Vader. I didn't know there was hatred of him though. What's to hate?
Mostly to do with two things:

1. The really rabid fanbase he has in some circles.

2. That in the old EU, he got a bit... overhyped. Really overhyped. Really really overhyped. As in during the Legacy of the Force books, Jaina Solo went to him to learn how to kill her brother Jacen, because apparently Fett was the greatest Jedi-killer of them all. At least still alive.

Please keep in mind that Fett had never been seen to kill a Jedi in all of the EU until that point. It was the worst bit of telling I had seen in a while.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Nutso wrote:
Mostly to do with two things:

1. The really rabid fanbase he has in some circles.

2. That in the old EU, he got a bit... overhyped. Really overhyped. Really really overhyped. As in during the Legacy of the Force books, Jaina Solo went to him to learn how to kill her brother Jacen, because apparently Fett was the greatest Jedi-killer of them all. At least still alive.

Please keep in mind that Fett had never been seen to kill a Jedi in all of the EU until that point. It was the worst bit of telling I had seen in a while.
I remember that about Boba Fett. A video criticizing Karen Traviss. I remember the video made a point wondering about how could Boba be the greatest Jedi killer ever when the Stormtroopers and Vader killed the vast majority of them at a time when Boba was still a child. What Jedi were there left to kill? It also brought up the point from Return of the Jedi where Luke slaughters an entire barge's worth of Jabba's men, and then when Boba confronts Luke, Luke cuts his gun in half, knocks him down while tied up, then Boba gets killed accidentally by a blind Han Solo. But the video wasn't about hating Boba, it was about how much the video creator dislikes Traviss, or at least her Star Wars work. It was from the guy who was championing the Endor Holocaust.
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Blame Karen Travis for the modern fanbase. Pre Travis Fett was just one of those characters that looked cool. When she started to write more or less fangirl fan fiction about him and the Mandos then it got ridiculous.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

I'll give Fett credit. He did manage to see through Han's ruse with attaching to that star destroyer and floating away. That's a solid 'win' there. But as Nutso and others point out, that's pretty much it in the films.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I'll give Fett credit. He did manage to see through Han's ruse with attaching to that star destroyer and floating away. That's a solid 'win' there. But as Nutso and others point out, that's pretty much it in the films.
There's also Vader treating him, if not as an equal, then at least with a modicum of courtesy, and apparently feeling the need to warn him off specifically (with finger-wagging) against disintegrating his targets.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Captain Seafort wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:I'll give Fett credit. He did manage to see through Han's ruse with attaching to that star destroyer and floating away. That's a solid 'win' there. But as Nutso and others point out, that's pretty much it in the films.
There's also Vader treating him, if not as an equal, then at least with a modicum of courtesy, and apparently feeling the need to warn him off specifically (with finger-wagging) against disintegrating his targets.
True. If Fett only appeared in Empire, then there'd be little problem with him being seen as a total badass. He really does shine in that movie. But once you factor in his performance in ROTJ... *<:*)X
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:
True. If Fett only appeared in Empire, then there'd be little problem with him being seen as a total badass. He really does shine in that movie. But once you factor in his performance in ROTJ... *<:*)X
Well, climbing out of the Sarlacc Pit, walking back to Mos Eisley without armor or weapons, could have returned him to badass.

Also, if not for the prequel showing us he was a boy at the time of the Jedi extinction, he could have been believable as a big time Jedi killer because of the special attention Vader gives to him in the bounty hunters scene in ESB. Vader's warning this specific guy out of all the bounty hunters? They must have a history. Maybe this guy helped was hired by Vader to hunt down the Jedi. Instead of showing us the origin of Boba Fett, they could have had him show up at the Jedi purge using disintegrators against them. Even give him a scene where he alone takes down a Jedi, without clonetrooper help.
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Okay, full confession. I have never had any problem with Fett getting out of the Sarlacc. He's conscious, armed, and armored. I can fully see him being able to blast/shoot his way out of it.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

From the POV of someone who was ten years of age when ESB came out, I can say that the allure of Boba Fett as a character was twofold. First, the degree of respect afforded him by characters such as Vader meant that he had an unspoken history of badassery... along with his willingness to actually give some backtalk to Darth Vader. Second, to paraphrase the great Jack Nicholson from a completely different franchise, "all those wonderful toys." There was no history of the Mandalorians yet, and nobody new what "typical" Mandalorian battle armor was, it was just Boba Fett's kit.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer