The Last Jedi - spoileriffic thread

Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: The Last Jedi - spoileriffic thread

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Graham Kennedy wrote:
Bryan Moore wrote:
Nutso wrote:Is light speed ship ramming now the ultimate power in the universe?
And if so, why the hell did they not do something like this do the Death Star? Interdictor capability perhaps, with artificial gravity wells? Also, why didn't Laura Dern and the crew not do this way earlier in the film? Or why not set a few droids up to do this for them? This was a huge flaw for me.
It was a very cool moment in the movie, though! :)
You're both right. :wink:

Now that the concept has been canonically demonstrated it's clear that it can be used as a great equaling force in military terms, which (IRL) would also undermine the "underdog" David vs Goliath motif present since ANH.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:
Graham Kennedy wrote:It was a very cool moment in the movie, though! :)
You're both right. :wink:

Now that the concept has been canonically demonstrated it's clear that it can be used as a great equaling force in military terms, which (IRL) would also undermine the "underdog" David vs Goliath motif present since ANH.
Anybody want to bet that it will never be seen or referenced again in any Star Wars movie?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

*equalizing.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
IanKennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by IanKennedy »

You do have to wonder how large a ship is needed to make this happen. Is it just any ship with a drive or is it mass related. If smaller ships are possible then you've got an effective torpedo.
email, ergo spam
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

IanKennedy wrote:You do have to wonder how large a ship is needed to make this happen. Is it just any ship with a drive or is it mass related. If smaller ships are possible then you've got an effective torpedo.
Snoke's megaship was 60 km long. Even if you need something the size of a cruiser to make it work, his ship could carry thousands of missiles that large.

Not unlike the early anti-ship missiles in real life - some of them were the size of a fighter jet.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I thought gravity-well projectors were a thing in SW, at least on cap ships - and snubs are agile enough to evade such missiles.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Mikey wrote:I thought gravity-well projectors were a thing in SW, at least on cap ships - and snubs are agile enough to evade such missiles.
I've certainly seen the use of tech like that to stop or prevent hyperspace jumps in SW books, though not that I recall in any film. Snoke's supership certainly is more than big enough to house such a generator. So then it seems either the writers of the film disregarded that element from EU sources (opening the question of canonicity) or the crew running Snoke's fleet was incompetent.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Mikey wrote:I thought gravity-well projectors were a thing in SW, at least on cap ships - and snubs are agile enough to evade such missiles.
I've certainly seen the use of tech like that to stop or prevent hyperspace jumps in SW books, though not that I recall in any film. Snoke's supership certainly is more than big enough to house such a generator. So then it seems either the writers of the film disregarded that element from EU sources (opening the question of canonicity) or the crew running Snoke's fleet was incompetent.
Regarding the EU: Have gravity will generators shown up in any of the post-disney works? I know Disney there it most of the old EU went they took over, including Interdictors IIRC. I don't know what the new stuff looks like since I don't really follow the books as much as I do the Star Trek EU.
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Sonic Glitch wrote:
Regarding the EU: Have gravity will generators shown up in any of the post-disney works? I know Disney there it most of the old EU went they took over, including Interdictors IIRC. I don't know what the new stuff looks like since I don't really follow the books as much as I do the Star Trek EU.
I don't know either. I haven't read any ST or SW books in a while so the handful of SW books I'd read were definitely pre-Disney.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Sonic Glitch wrote:Regarding the EU: Have gravity will generators shown up in any of the post-disney works?
Yes
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

The movie... I gave it an honest chance. I went into the theater, but it just didn't click with me. There were moments I liked, but on the whole I didn't like the movie. And I really liked The Force Awakens. I got a Hot Toys Deluxe Rey with BB-8, for god's sake. But this one... I'm not sure I'll even get the DVD.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Really? I found the opposite for myself... I liked TLJ more than TFA.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
mwhittington
Commander
Commander

Post by mwhittington »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Because how do you police a universe in which one can stoll down to the local dealership and buy an item that can blow up a very large chunk of a planet if misused? All those swarms of traffic we see near advanced planets... does nobody ever just decide to ram their ship into the planet for fun? Nobody, ever, not once? If one in a thousand people in the world today had a personal nuke, nukes would be going off daily!
Is the book Outbound Flight considered canon? I'm assuming it is because Thrawn is now canon, and this book "introduces" Thrawn.
If I'm not mistaken, Star Wars hyperdrive ships can't achieve light speed in a gravity well, such as a planet or black hole, which is why Thrawn stole the idea from the Vagaari, and the Empire built on that idea to create Interdictor ships, to pull Rebel ships out of lightspeed.
That being said, I'm not sure how Han was able to come out of lightspeed so close to Starkiller base before he would have been pulled out by its gravity. Perhaps a tiny plothole.
"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." -Benjamin Franklin-
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

mwhittington wrote:Is the book Outbound Flight considered canon? I'm assuming it is because Thrawn is now canon, and this book "introduces" Thrawn.
Outbound Flight is no longer canon - Thrawn himself is canon because he's turned up in his own novel, and in Rebels, but the pre-Disney EU of him and his history is gone.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.