Han Solo Spinoff: Directors Quit (or Fired?)

Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Han Solo Spinoff: Directors Quit (or Fired?)

Post by Nutso »

‘Star Wars’ Han Solo Spinoff: Lord & Miller Fired After Clashing With Kathleen Kennedy (EXCLUSIVE)
http://variety.com/2017/film/news/star- ... 202473919/
Phil Lord and Chris Miller’s reputation for writing irreverent, poppy films such as “21 Jump Street” and “The Lego Movie” helped the white-hot writing and directing duo land one of the most coveted gigs in Hollywood — a chance to call the shots on a “Star Wars” film.

But their chance to put their stamp on a galaxy far, far away collapsed on Tuesday with the stunning announcement that the pair would be departing the still untitled Han Solo spin-off movie in the midst of production. Their exit comes after months of conflict with producer Kathleen Kennedy, others from her LucasFilm team, and co-writer and executive producer Lawrence Kasdan, and the two directors hired to infuse the “Star Wars” universe with a tongue-in-cheek sensibility.

Miller and Lord were stunned to find that they were not being granted freedom to run the production in the manner that they were accustomed to. They balked at Kennedy’s tight control on the set.
The directors depart with 3 weeks of shooting left. Scary but, they are Disney. They can take a multi-million dollar loss.

Was anyone looking forward to this movie?
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Han Solo Spinoff: Directors Quit (or Fired?)

Post by Mikey »

I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Quite the bright silver lining. :D
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

So here's how I see Howard as a director:

Great movies: Willow, Apollo 13, A Beautiful Mind, Frost/Nixon

Good movies/iffy movies that are fun: Splash, Cocoon, Backdraft, The Da Vinci Code, Parenthood

Mediocre to bad movies: All Dan Brown films (interesting, but Alan Smithee could have directed these)

Awful movies: Grinch (good Lord, is that bad)

Haven't seen: Cinderella Man, Rush, In the Heart of the Sea

This is a pretty solid resume, but there is nothing here that absolutely makes me jump up and scream for joy that his interpretation of Star Wars will be any better or worse than any other directors that have had their parts.

I dare say that Star Wars is so iconic and the vitriolic nastiness directed towards certain decisions in the prequels will all but guarantee that any future Star Wars endeavor will be faithful to the spirit and details of the original trilogy as much as humanly possible.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?