ROGUE ONE: Spoilerific WTF thread!

Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: ROGUE ONE: Spoilerific WTF thread!

Post by Graham Kennedy »

So I checked out a transcript of A New Hope.

VADER : Don't play games with me, Your Highness. You weren't on any mercy mission this time. You passed directly through a restricted system. Several transmissions were beamed to this ship by Rebel spies. I want to know what happened to the plans they sent you.

Now to me, that doesn't quite fit what we see in Rogue One. Vader says Leia's ship "passed through" a restricted system... and transmissions were beamed to THIS ship by Rebel spies.

But in fact, Leia's ship was being carried inside a Rebel cruiser. Said cruiser took direct part in a battle directly above an Imperial facility. And the transmissions were directed to the cruiser, and then passed to Leia's ship by hand... with Vader directly witnessing the disc (or whatever) being carried into the ship, and the ship making an escape.

You can interpret what Vader says to be true, but you really have to torture the English language to make what he says something a person who saw Rogue One happen would say.

Would have been a fairly easy fix, too. Just have the cruiser crew desperately trying to relay the message to Leia's distant ship on the edge of the system before Vader came and killed them all.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Yep. One ship should have transmitted the plans to Leia's ship instead of it being handed to Leia's ship directly. Maybe that Hammerhead cruiser(corvette?) that bullied the powerless Star Destroyer.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

By the way, the actor who played Princess Leia is Ingvild Deila. a Norwegian actor.

Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

I have a complaint. Why did Forrest Whittaker have to die so stupidly? He gave up living. There was a ship, Jyn Erso was running to it. It made no sense unless the writers think someone dying pointlessly is "drama." This is almost as bad as Pa Kent dying in Man of Steel, when his super-son is right there. But then again there was some emotion to that. Superman watched his dad die, he had an emotional reaction to see that. What relationship exactly are we shown between Jyn and Forrest? We are told stuff about abandonment. But I needed to at least see Jyn have some kind of emotion besides anger towards Forrest. I get that this is supposed the old, "young character loses older mentor" trope, but I don't remember if she felt anything for him afterwards. The result of his suicide is Jyn just had one less credible person to vouch for the hologram message from her father. Was that why Forrest had to die? To create a scene where no one believes Jyn, so she'll have to do the rebelling on her own?
Stan - South Park
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

But in fact, Leia's ship was being carried inside a Rebel cruiser. Said cruiser took direct part in a battle directly above an Imperial facility. And the transmissions were directed to the cruiser, and then passed to Leia's ship by hand... with Vader directly witnessing the disc (or whatever) being carried into the ship, and the ship making an escape.

You can interpret what Vader says to be true, but you really have to torture the English language to make what he says something a person who saw Rogue One happen would say.

Would have been a fairly easy fix, too. Just have the cruiser crew desperately trying to relay the message to Leia's distant ship on the edge of the system before Vader came and killed them all.
Well...imho this is a kind of fanservice horribly gone wrong. It doesn't make sense if you think about out. It only makes sense for the more...casual...viewer..."Oh yeah..I remember vaguely her ship being captured...oh, so that is how this came to be..."

Doesn't make any sense for us oldtimers.

Nutso wrote:I have a complaint. Why did Forrest Whittaker have to die so stupidly? He gave up living. There was a ship, Jyn Erso was running to it.
Why did Jyn Erso's mother have to die so stupididly? Heck...where was the need for her father to get captured? How much time would they really spend searching a planet for one guy? How much time would they spend searching for his family as soon as they have him and basicllay can tell him anything they like?

One of the complaints I have about this movie is that a lot of things just "happen" because the "plot" needs it to happen....and not because it is a logical sequence of the actions and consequences of the characters.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

46 shots from the advertisements not seen in the actual movie. I put this here and not in the youtube thread because no one who doesn't want to see spoilers should accidentally see what was missing from the movie.

Stan - South Park
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

It was quite noticeable that an awful lot of the trailer wasn't in the film at all. Presumably that's down to the stories about massive reshoots that re-wrote a large portion of the movie.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

Yikes! No movie will please everyone, huh? That just seems like a lot of energy spent picking apart a film. The next film made with no plot holes at all will be the first in history.

Anyway, I got what I came for, a fun space adventure. Yeah, as a glimpse of the inner working of the rebellion of a sort we never really saw in the original trilogy, it's rather interesting. As to the question of "what makes the Empire so bad," I'd surmise the big round object at the center of the plot offers some insight: if they don't seem to have any qualms about blowing up whole planets to pacify (scare the shit out of) the population, how nice can they be?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Captain Picard's Hair
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Captain Picard's Hair »

As to why Vader sounded a bit different, I can't say but I saw enough of the credits to observe James Earl Jones was indeed voicing him again. On that note,Vader's couple of scenes were great. Seeing him take on non-Force using opponents towards the end of the film brings out how badass he is.

I also found it a nice touch to throw in those quasi-Jedi, or however you can term them as Force-sensitive people without training.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q, Q Who
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Nutso wrote:46 shots from the advertisements not seen in the actual movie. I put this here and not in the youtube thread because no one who doesn't want to see spoilers should accidentally see what was missing from the movie.

Basically the whole first trailer is completely missing...the trailer that acutally got me exited for this.....

Damn...what would I not give for a directors cut for this movie......seems so much better than what we got.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Didn't they say something like the original was too serious and they wanted it more lighthearted?

If this was the lighthearted Disney version, the original must have looked like a cross between Platoon and Apocalypse Now!
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Graham Kennedy wrote:Didn't they say something like the original was too serious and they wanted it more lighthearted?

If this was the lighthearted Disney version, the original must have looked like a cross between Platoon and Apocalypse Now!
Yeah. I read that almost 50% of the movie was re-shot to give it a lighter, more Star Wars tone. The only difference in tone I noticed between the first trailer and the movie is that Jyn Erso isn't so bleak. In the latter trailers, Jyn Erso was a lot more hopeful, so maybe the reasons re-shoots were so extensive was because they were lightening up the main character. Thankfully this line was cut- “This is a rebellion, isn’t it? I rebel!”

Re-shoots aren't necessarily a bad thing. I remember the StR Wars Celebration Reel that showed filming footgae of a lot more ground battle scenes. Like Jyn and pilot guy running on the beach with other soldiers in slo-mo. However I don't remember signs of space battles until the latter trailers. So there's a possibility that someone decided to add in the space battle. I can't complain about that. I loved it.

I liked the movie. I will re-watch it again.

Edit: Here's an article from The Guardian about the re-shoots. They talk about the first trailer differences with the last trailers released.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmbl ... s-trailers
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Captain Picard's Hair wrote:As to why Vader sounded a bit different, I can't say but I saw enough of the credits to observe James Earl Jones was indeed voicing him again. On that note,Vader's couple of scenes were great. Seeing him take on non-Force using opponents towards the end of the film brings out how badass he is.
Yes. That was so incredible. I had seen that before the movie was released in the U.S. and knew I had to see the movie right away. Seeing Vader use his lightsaber and the Force so effectively reminded how dangerous Jedi are. A magnificent decision to shoot that scene in darkness, only allowing the red of the lightsaber and the red of the rebel lasers to light up the room. Even when he's standing by the bay door watching the Tantive V fly away, it was a great shot, reminded me of how Vader watched as Luke in the Millennium Falcon took off into hyperspace in Empire Strikes Back.
Stan - South Park