What would it take to run a Death Star?

Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

What would it take to run a Death Star?

Post by Varthikes »

A few years ago, a petition was made to the United States government to build a Death Star.

I came across this article that breaks down what would have been needed to actually build one, and then to actually run it.

I found it pretty amusing. Especially an image I got of Darth Vader mopping the halls of the Death Star.

To Build a Death Star
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: What would it take to run a Death Star?

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Ah, dang. Looks like we won't be blowing up Mars any time soon.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

I assume that Vader got the full package which included the mop droid fleet.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

McAvoy wrote:I assume that Vader got the full package which included the mop droid fleet.
And an ocean's worth of glass cleaner.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Or... Use the same material the new Navy ships which don't have to be mopped. But then again you have to still sweep.

Maybe there is a hidden tech where the Death Star has a self cleaning mode or something.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

I thought that the little toaster sized rolling droids (like the one Chewy roars at and it runs away) were the cleaning crew.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Using those small things would be like scrubbing a basketball court with a q tip
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

And god help them if they get anything larger than some crumbs or small debris.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Where is all this dirt that you are thinking of coming from? There is no "outside" air coming in. Therefore the majority of "dirt" would be skin flakes, hair and metal shavings from machinery. All air circulation is filtered and clean, and it is CONSTANTLY circulated. It would not really take much to keep things clean. You probably would not even have to glean a corridor once a day. The smallness of the dust (skin/hair) and that the surfaces are hard (not carpet) the droids could move rather quickly, meaning each could cover a lot of ground, 24/7.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Alot of stuff actually. Boot soles do wear down. Same goes for anything that contacts the ground causing wear and tear. Then you got the stuff you step in every day that you don't realize. Like liquid residue, garbage, fuel, and so forth.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

But on the Death Star you would not have a lot of that. You are not going outside where you would come into contact with the majority of that kind of stuff. The corridors of the Death Star would be quite clean all on their own. Obviously there is a high number/volume of corridors, but those little toaster on wheels could easily handle the job of keeping them clean.

Things like burst pipes etc are different. That would require technicians (plumbers, etc) as well as additional/larger cleaning crew. But the day-to-day cleaning would be easily handled by small droids.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Jim wrote:But on the Death Star you would not have a lot of that.
Everything McAvoy mentioned would be generated by the Death Star itself, plus, of course, skin, hair, etc, which the human body sheds continuously in surprisingly large quantities. You're seriously underestimating the effort needed to keep the place clean.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Griffin
Commander
Commander

Post by Griffin »

I thought the MSE Droids were part of the ships computer and messaging systems? Can't remember where I read that though, it could've been from one of the West End games guides.
Bite my shiny metal ass
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Jim wrote:But on the Death Star you would not have a lot of that.
Everything McAvoy mentioned would be generated by the Death Star itself, plus, of course, skin, hair, etc, which the human body sheds continuously in surprisingly large quantities. You're seriously underestimating the effort needed to keep the place clean.
Exactly. Hell they apparently have to transport their trash to the compactor. That alone makes the corridors dirty too.

Not even corridors but rooms and workshops as well.