Darths Decent

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Darths Decent

Post by Teaos »

So one of the many problems with the prequel trilogy is the portrayal of Anakins decent. They went for whiny spoiled kid.

How would you have shown his decent? How to make a believable swap from hero of the Republic, to Darth Vadar.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Darths Decent

Post by Graham Kennedy »

First off I wouldn't have had him as a kid in the first movie. Kids are annoying and whiny and you don't need to have a kid in your film just to make kids watch it.

What I'd have done was make Qui-Gon be Obi-Wan. Obi would be the older, wiser mentor figure. And Annakin would be the younger Jedi, in his late teens say. And I'd have played it out kind of like a buddy cop movie, where they'd be this amazing team that got the jobs other Jedi couldn't do. And over the first film I'd play it out like Obi-Wan was the Murtagh of the team who wanted to follow the rules, and Annakin was the Riggs, who wanted to play everything by the seat of his pants and bend the rules to get the job done. The first film would see Obi-Wan learning to 'loosen up' a bit from Annakin; they'd become great friends, save each other's lives half a dozen times, and in the end Obi-Wan would learn to bend the rules a bit just like Annakin. And I'd treat that like it was a good thing.

Second film, Annakin would gradually become more and more of a maverick. He'd continue to get the job done, but Obi-Wan would start to have moments where he thinks Annakin is going too far, and Annkin would be like "hey, we bend the rules all the time, what's the difference?" Obi-Wan would gradually start to realise that he'd actually set a bad example for Annakin, and try to pull him back, and that would seem to work for a while. But Annakin would increasingly go behind Obi-Wan's back. At some point I'd mention that the Jedi archives had a sealed area where most people weren't allowed to go because it was full of forbidden knowledge. They'd find that they couldn't solve the problem of the week through normal means, and Annakin would sneak in to the forbidden section and start to learn dark side techniques. He'll use these behind Obi-Wan's back to solve the problem - maybe saving Padme's life. And in his mind, this confirms that the rules are just stupid arbitrary things that get in the way. Obi-Wan is amazed that Annakin was able to save Padme, and can't work out how he could have done it. At the end of the film Obi-Wan realises that somebody has been accessing the forbidden archive, and we leave off with him being worried.

Third film, Obi-Wan confronts Annakin and Annakin just blows him off. He's obviously spinning out of control, and nothing Obi-Wan does makes any difference. More and more, the two are at odds with one another. And the Jedi give them a mission that seems wrong to them both... not sure what, but something along the lines of having to protect some evil guy for the greater good. Like maybe there's a powerful slave trader who controls slavery on a dozen planets, and he's about to sign a treaty allowing the Republic access through his space to fight the Clone army or something, so the Cloners are trying to kill him and Annakin and Obi-Wan have to protect him. Since Annakin and his mother were slaves, Annakin hates this guy with a passion. And it would be interesting because Annakin would have a point, this would be a bad guy, and protecting him is morally dubious... so in his mind, why not just kill him? So Obi-wan, the nominal good guy, is kinda working on the wrong side here. Yet it's for the greater good, so he feels he has to do it. And Annakin just up and kills the guy. And at that point Annakin is a bad guy, and Obi-Wan spends the rest of the film trying to stop him, until their final big fight.

That's how I'd do it.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Definitely make Anakin older. Definitely use a different actor who can actually act. Probably not make him born from the Force or anything like that. Make him powerful, very powerful. I think the basic original idea of Anakin's fall is good but the execution sucked
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Try not to telegraph the Fall so much. I know it's a foregone conclusion, but halfway through AOTC I was expecting Anakin and Obi-Wan to get into a fist fight!