Capital ships and torpedoes

Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Capital ships and torpedoes

Post by Granitehewer »

Is there any particular reason that Mon Calamari MC80s and Imperial Star Destroyers seem to lack torpedo launchers ?
Surely torpedoes are not restricted solely to fighters like the X-Wing ?
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Capital ships and torpedoes

Post by Captain Seafort »

They're not - Chimera used PTs against a pirate battle group in Spectre of the Past, and if you just want to use new canon both the Acclamator and VenStar had PT launchers per the ICSes.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

Aaah okay thanks !
Whenever I've looked in various guides I noticed that the Capital Ships of RotJ seemed to lack launchers and it bugged me.
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

By and large the big ships of the films have been described as having no missiles and a uniform main battery because that's what a superficial examination of the films shows. It's the same mentality that lead to the 60 TL/60 ion cannon nonsense.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

What is the power of the torpedoes? The only reason it worked against the DS1 was because it went straight to the reactor. If the torps aren't strong enough to damage another capital ship or have the speed/range to be effective against smaller ships then there would not be a reason to have launchers. I do not recall smaller ships (x-wings, etc) really using them against the Star Destroyers in RoTJ either.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

How powerful is a bomb? Equivalent to a few grams of TNT or fifty million tons? The answer is both, and anywhere in between - it depends on the size.