Star Wars Spinoff Gets Director & Release Date

Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Star Wars Spinoff Gets Director & Release Date

Post by Nutso »

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/ma ... th-edwards

December 16th, 2016.

Godzilla director Gareth Edwards will direct the first Star Wars spin-off movie, the British film-maker has confirmed in a statement.

Edwards will work from a screenplay by British writer, Gary Whitta, who wrote After Earth and The Book of Eli.

"Ever since I saw Star Wars I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life – join the Rebel Alliance! I could not be more excited and honoured to go on this mission with Lucasfilm," said Edwards, who remains in line to direct a pair of sequels to Godzilla.

"Gareth's film-making talent makes him one of his generation's most creative and visionary directors," said Thomas Tull of Godzilla production company Legendary Entertainment. "The plan has always been for Gareth to direct a different film before we started on another Godzilla, but who knew it would a Star Wars instalment? We have a great plan in store for Godzilla fans and I am looking forward to seeing Gareth's imprint on the Star Wars universe."

It has not yet been confirmed which character the new film will focus on, but Disney previously announced a series of spin-off "origins" movies to be released in the gaps between its proposed new Star Wars trilogy. They are expected to centre on figures from the original triptych of films released between 1977 and 1983: Boba Fett, Han Solo and Yoda are considered strong candidates.

Godzilla is only Edwards's second film, following the microbudget sci-fi romance Monsters in 2010. It took $196m (£117m) opening across the globe at the weekend, the biggest debut of 2014 so far. The film has received fair to strong reviews, with a current rating of 73% "fresh" on the review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes.

JJ Abrams' Star Wars: Episode VII, the first Star Wars movie since Disney's $4.05bn purchase of all rights to the long-running space saga in October 2012, is currently shooting at London's Pinewood Studios in preparation for a December 2015 release date.

The studio confirmed earlier this month that Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford will return to the roles of Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Han Solo from the original trilogy. A number of newcomers, including Attack the Block's John Boyega, Lord of the Rings's Andy Serkis and Ingmar Bergman-regular Max von Sydow have also joined the cast.
Probably The Adventures of Young Han Solo, because he would sell the most toys.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Re: Star Wars Spinoff Gets Director & Release Date

Post by Captain Seafort »

Besides which we already have an "origin film" about Boba Fett called Attack of the Clones, and I think Yoda works better as character if we don't know where he comes from. Lucas obviously felt the same way, because he made a point of banning any revelations about his early history, including his species.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Nutso wrote:Probably The Adventures of Young Han Solo, because he would sell the most toys.
That would be coo0l... have the movie end with them sitting in the cantina.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

So who would play a young Harrison Ford cuz if he can pull th at off then it's time to dust off the Young Indiana Jones series too.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Remember the last time they did a young Ford thing in Indiana Jones IV.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

There's no one like Harrison Ford out there. Maybe that dude who plays the older brother on Supernatural?
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Jim wrote:
Nutso wrote:Probably The Adventures of Young Han Solo, because he would sell the most toys.
That would be coo0l... have the movie end with them sitting in the cantina.
If you were writing The Adventures of Young Han Solo, would Han ever shoot first?
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Nutso wrote: If you were writing The Adventures of Young Han Solo, would Han ever shoot first?
Nope. he'd be the only one to shoot. 8)
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
Nutso wrote: If you were writing The Adventures of Young Han Solo, would Han ever shoot first?
Good answer. Maybe you should write The Adventures of Young Han Solo.
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Nutso wrote:There's no one like Harrison Ford out there. Maybe that dude who plays the older brother on Supernatural?
Nah. He doesn't fit that well. That aand he is older than you think.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Nutso wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:
No. Han's character is a bit of a rogue... but he was never the "killer" type. Naturally, there is a level of "life in danger" so "never" is tough to agree to, but there was no reason for Han to shoot first in the cantina situation.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Jim wrote:
Nutso wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote: Nope. he'd be the only one to shoot. 8)
No. Han's character is a bit of a rogue... but he was never the "killer" type. Naturally, there is a level of "life in danger" so "never" is tough to agree to, but there was no reason for Han to shoot first in the cantina situation.
Wasn't Greedo going to kill him? To claim the bounty? This is like Tuco in the bathtub from The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. If he doesn't shoot first, he dies. It's not like Han walked into a Cantina and shot Greedo, or Tuco jumped in another man's bathtub and shot him.
Stan - South Park
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

No. I think that he had full intentions of taking Han to Jabba to deal with, knowing that Jabba was going to kill Han.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Jim wrote:No. I think that he had full intentions of taking Han to Jabba to deal with, knowing that Jabba was going to kill Han.
Then I suggest you watch that scene again - as soon as Greedo stopped Han, one of them was certain to end up cooked in the next few minutes. Han made sure it wasn't him.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Captain Seafort wrote:
Jim wrote:No. I think that he had full intentions of taking Han to Jabba to deal with, knowing that Jabba was going to kill Han.
Then I suggest you watch that scene again - as soon as Greedo stopped Han, one of them was certain to end up cooked in the next few minutes. Han made sure it wasn't him.
Greedo: Going somewhere, Solo?
Han Solo: Yes, Greedo. I was just going to see your boss. Tell Jabba I've got his money.
Greedo: It's too late. You should have paid him when you had the chance. Jabba's put a price on your head so large, every bounty hunter in the galaxy will be looking for you. I'm lucky I found you first.
Han Solo: Yeah, but this time I've got the money.
Greedo: If you give it to me, I might forget I found you. <- obviously not looking to shoot him
Han Solo: [stealthily going for his blaster] I don't have it with me. Tell Jabba...
Greedo: Jabba's through with you! He has no use for smugglers who drop their shipments at the first sign of an Imperial cruiser.
Han Solo: Even I get boarded sometimes. Do you think I had a choice?
Greedo: You can tell that to Jabba. At best, he may only take your ship. <- obviously not looking to shoot him
Han Solo: Over my dead body!
Greedo: That's the idea... I've been looking forward to this for a long time. <- I take this to mean that he does expect Jabba to kill Han, but previous lines say to me that he was not going to shoot Han.
Han Solo: Yeah, I'll bet you have.
[Han blasts Greedo, then heads out, tossing the bartender a coin]
Han Solo: Sorry about the mess.

Now, Lucas is HORRIBLE at writing dialogue so.... BUt I would not expect Han to be the kind to shoot first and I do not think that the scene plays out as Greedo shooting Han and taking away Jabba's own plans, whatever they are. At no point was the price on Han's head "Dead or Alive" or the replacement scene with Jabba would not have gone down.