Adam Driver Cast As New Star Wars Villain

Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Adam Driver Cast As New Star Wars Villain

Post by Nutso »

By Oliver Gettell

February 27, 2014, 12:48 p.m.

Adam Driver's character on the HBO series "Girls" has been accused of being a cruel, heartless weirdo. Now, Driver could be indulging his dark side further as the villain in "Star Wars: Episode VII."

According to a report in Variety, the 30-year-old Indiana native is close to signing a deal to play the main antagonist in J.J. Abrams' highly anticipated "Star Wars" sequel. Details of the character are unknown, the report says, but he's expected to be in the vein of the iconic bad guy Darth Vader.

Driver is the first cast member to be revealed for the film, which will be directed by Abrams from a script by him and Lawrence Kasdan, after the two took over writing duties from Oscar winner Michael Arndt. Abrams was tapped to direct "Episode VII" last year, and Kasdan has a long history with Lucasfilm, as a screenwriter on "The Empire Strikes Back," "Raiders of the Lost Ark" and "Return of the Jedi."

Walt Disney Studios is set to release "Episode VII" on Dec. 18, 2015.

PHOTOS: Box office top 10 of 2013

Driver is an intriguing choice to play the lead villain in the presumptive blockbuster franchise. On one hand, the former Marine and Juilliard graduate has earned praise from critics and gained a dedicated fan following for his breakout role as the crude-but-charming boyfriend of Lena Dunham's lead character on "Girls." He is often an intense, charismatic physical presence on the show, a quality that could serve him well as an intergalactic antagonist.

On the other hand, Driver has yet to anchor a mainstream movie, and there are few properties in all of pop culture as beloved as "Star Wars." Thus far, Driver has appeared in supporting roles in such films as "Frances Ha," "Lincoln" and "Inside Llewyn Davis," all of which have been well received -- but they're no doubt light-years away from resembling anything in the "Star Wars" universe.

Dunham, for her part, expressed confidence in her costar. On Twitter, she wrote, "We're VERY proud of Adam Driver re: Star Wars. He's about to rip a hole in da force."
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mo ... 4758.story
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Adam Driver Cast As New Star Wars Villain

Post by Teaos »

Looks the part, but from the little I've seen him, he's a bit comical... not something I want of Star Wars.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

Yousa not like da Gungans?
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Teaos wrote:Looks the part, but from the little I've seen him, he's a bit comical... not something I want of Star Wars.
Ah... the OT at least could be quite funny. Not Three Stooges-level, but some good laughs were there.