Death to my enemies!!!!

Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Death to my enemies!!!!

Post by Meste17 »

So with all that in mind, is my estimate of 11,920 total fighters of varying design correct, or am I missing something here and was it incorrect?
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Meste17 wrote:So with all that in mind, is my estimate of 11,920 total fighters of varying design correct, or am I missing something here and was it incorrect?
We'll get back to you on that, after we determine how man y fighters the ISD should have vs how many its been said to have.

Fairly normal for these forums, topics rarely stay on task.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Sonic Glitch
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
Location: Any ol' place here on Earth or in space. You pick the century and I'll pick the spot

Post by Sonic Glitch »

stitch626 wrote:
Meste17 wrote:So with all that in mind, is my estimate of 11,920 total fighters of varying design correct, or am I missing something here and was it incorrect?
We'll get back to you on that, after we determine how man y fighters the ISD should have vs how many its been said to have.

Indeed. You'll get used to it. If you're looking for a good time ask in the Community threads what happened with the TR-116....

DITL in one image:
"All this has happened before --"
"But it doesn't have to happen again. Not if we make up our minds to change. Take a different path. Right here, right now."
Meste17
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Meste17 »

Sonic Glitch wrote:
stitch626 wrote:

Indeed. You'll get used to it. If you're looking for a good time ask in the Community threads what happened with the TR-116....

DITL in one image:

O_O Oh. Well I'm sorry, I forgot about that. I never meant to cause such a ruckus. :( -_- haha :P :)
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

McAvoy wrote:My point is that they can carry far more than what is suggested. 72 fighters all of which are smaller on average then the ones carried on a Nimitz class carrier. Both of which carry roughly the same amount. Assuming they operate like the USN. They will have six squadrons of 12 fighters/ bombers each. One or two will be hangwe queens (fighters acting like spare parts until a rare but key part is found to fix it) so that leaves 10 to 11 fighters potentially ready to do missions. At least one or two are 'hard down' which means they are broke for the day or next day. That leaves 8-10 fighters per squadron operational. One plane per squadron will operate as a CAP. If a battle starts this fighter will be the first off of the battlefield to refuel and restock. That leaves 56 fighters ready to leave a ISD at a moment's notice. Assuming they do not break when they start up prior to launch.

That is a average day. Sometimes a squadron will have several down fighters. I remember one day we had only three good jets.

Something that is easily 25 times more massive than a Nimitz class carrier could house at least double the 72 complement.
But you are comparing something that was specifically designed to carry "fighters" to something that is not really designed to carry "fighters" much at all. How many fighters does a Supertanker hold? Zero. But wait, they are the same size (basically) as a Nimitz which can hold 85 aircraft? Irrelevant, totally irrelevant. Reason, the tanker is not designed to carry fighters of any size shape or quantity. Same concept with the ISD. Size is irrelevant because it was designed to only carry a... show/expedition quantity of fighters. Not an attack or defense quantity.

If you redesign the ISD to not include troops or AT-AT's or the base or any of the ground stuff, sure, you could probably fit multiple times the 72 number... but that is not what it is designed for. It is a ground war transport with little need for fighter support.

Another thing that is different is support ships. Aircraft carriers are part of battle groups; many additional ships for support and defense. An ISD shows up alone. No support craft. No defense craft. The Empire is not really concerned about space attack... nearly at all.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

False equivalency. Tankers do not carry any aircraft ever. ISD already carries fighters. 72 is not a lot and they do not take up as much space as aircraft do on a carrier.

Like I said, someone came up with the number and it stuck. Probably came from a RPG manual. If they said 12 we would be arguing about 12. If they said ISDs had no ground attack equipment there would be no mention of that here. And guess what? There would be visual evidence to support all of that too.

I am saying the ISD can easily carry 144 fighters and all of the support craft and ground equipment.

But then again, fuel and reactors must take up a lot of space and stormtroopers must get a whole room to themselves.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

"If they said 12 we would be arguing about 12" well yes. We could probably argue about a Nimitz carrying 85-90... but someone came up with that as the number for it to carry so that is what it is.

I am saying that the 72 number is not a matter of having space or not having space for more or less. I am saying that there is no need or desire for more. Why have 144 if you aren't even using the 72 that you have? It is possible that 48 would be more efficient and just as useful as 72, much less 144.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

The number that the Nimitz carries is the amount it can carry at the maximum. No one randomly came up with that number. That was based on past experience with previous carriers, the size of each plane and logistics. Not a random number.

So... I am being argued with because I said from the fucking beginning and even now say 'could carry twice the number'. And you want to argue 72 is a good number because 72 is a good number. Got it.

Jim you won the internet today. Good job.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Actually i was coming back in to say that I think we are arguing different things. You are basing on size, I am basing on ... utility or some-such other reason.

But, the Nimitz number is something that someone came up with. They could have made the ship bigger or smaller had someone come up with a bigger or smaller number. But they came up with the 85-90 number and that is what they went with. Or are you saying that they built the ship and then tried to figure out what it could hold afterwards?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:So... I am being argued with because I said from the fucking beginning and even now say 'could carry twice the number'.
No, you're being argued with because you're using a dedicated carrier to argue about the numbers a counterinsurgency platform could carry. Sure, if the ISD was built as a dedicated carrier it could hundreds of fighters easily, if not thousands. It wasn't. That fighter wing, the blastboats, and the DX-9s combined are the equivalent of the helicopter on the back of an Arleigh Burke or Tico.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Jim wrote:Actually i was coming back in to say that I think we are arguing different things. You are basing on size, I am basing on ... utility or some-such other reason.

But, the Nimitz number is something that someone came up with. They could have made the ship bigger or smaller had someone come up with a bigger or smaller number. But they came up with the 85-90 number and that is what they went with. Or are you saying that they built the ship and then tried to figure out what it could hold afterwards?
Actually the Nimitz class carrier was designed with a lot of stuff in mind. The previous classes were used as a basis and improved on. The size was decided by the planes of the time. None of the planes on board a carrier is from the time when the USN designed the carrier. Though today's planes are designed to fit in carriers. The size was pushed up from the Midway class and even Forrestal class for many reasons. The number the Nimitz class carrier is the maximum it can carry today.

Sea fort, I used a carrier as an example. Please point out to me where I stated the ISD should be a carrier. I pointed out a ISD can carry more because it is 25+ times bigger than a carrier. Never said anything about it should carry 1000 fighters because I thought an ISD was a carrier.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Oh and I guess we should stop using carriers then for comparisons then when it comes to debating the Galaxy class as one is a spaceship and one is a naval vessel. Right? Don't want anyone to get confused.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

McAvoy wrote:I pointed out a ISD can carry more because it is 25+ times bigger than a carrier. Never said anything about it should carry 1000 fighters because I thought an ISD was a carrier.
It's more like 250 times the size of a Nimitz, but that comparison is irrelevant because you're comparing apples to oranges. Sure, it's got the volume to carry that many, but it's got a lot of other jobs to do as well. You might as well say it's unrealistic to claim that a Tico only carries a couple of helicopters because it's big enough to carry far more.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Where did I say its unrealistic? Where did I say anything but 'could'?

Wow. Just wow.

Besides. Is the Tico a fictional ship with a made number of helicopters that everyone accepts as true because no one bothered is state otherwise?
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I bet the Nimitz could transport a few battalions if it had to. And some tanks. Not like we always need someone to take the planes.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.