Size of X-Wing

Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Size of X-Wing

Post by Varthikes »

How high would you say the X-wing is in this picture? My guess would be somewhere between 9 and 10 feet compared to that guy standing next to the proton torpedo launcher.

I'm using the X-wing as a basis in figuring out the size of the fighters in my books.

"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
DarkMoineau
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Size of X-Wing

Post by DarkMoineau »

If it can help, here is the official length:

http://starwars.com/explore/encyclopedi ... ogy/xwing/
If you want to ask me, this avatar is a resized version of "The War Come Home" by Davemetlesits found on DeviantArt
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

That 12.5 meters is from the nozzle to the nose. I'm looking for a ventral-to-dorsal measurement.
"What has been done has been done and cannot be undone."--Ruth, All the Weyrs of Pern
"Dragons can't change who they are, and who would want them to? Dragons are powerful, amazing creatures."--Hiccup, Dragons: Riders of Berk
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

If it's 12.5 m long and the scale on this is correct :

Then the hull is 1.86 m (6 ft 1.22 in) top to bottom, or 1.9 m (6 ft 2.8 in) including the R2 unit.

With the S Foils in attack position the height overall from top of the top cannon to bottom of the bottom one is 3.64 m (11 ft 11.36 in).
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

GrahamKennedy wrote:With the S Foils in attack position the height overall from top of the top cannon to bottom of the bottom one is 3.64 m (11 ft 11.36 in).
That's probably the better one to use, since my reading of Varth's original post is that he's looking for the size of a landed X-wing with the skids extended, and the calculation matches very well with the eyeballed estimate.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Varthikes
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Varthikes »

Very nice! Thank you.

Yes, that's it exactly, Captain Seafort.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Man, that's one of my favorite sci-fi fighter designs.