Star Wars - Death Star

Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Star Wars - Death Star

Post by Bryan Moore »

Anyone else read this? I was hoping it would get more into the actual creation of the Death Star. Instead it was just a rather innocuous "Day in the Life" set of stories strung together. Enjoyable, but I feel no better for having read it.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
DarkOmen
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by DarkOmen »

almost bought it at the store today... but decided against it. Sounds like i should be glad i did lol
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I was thinking of buying it, myself. Would you say it was worth the money?

Also, was there any interesting bits about the Death Star itself?
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

One great thing about being behind in reading (I currently have 15 books bought but not yet read) is that I can wait until things are in paperback, or the hardbacks are on sale for $3.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Rochey wrote:I was thinking of buying it, myself. Would you say it was worth the money?

If you can get it from the library, do so. It's rather steeply priced for being not that great of a book. Having finished it, there are a few nice tidbits about the Death Star, but the bulk of the book is a web of interwoven short stories about poorly developed characters that you don't have much reason to care about.

The best stuff in the book revolved around the Death Star's building; supply problems, sabotage, etc. But, there is nothing groundbreaking, nor in depth enough to satisfy the nerds like me hungry for technical specs, engineering figures, etc.
Don't you hear my call, though you're many years away, don't you hear me calling you?
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Hmm, in that case I'll take a look in the library next time I'm in town.
"You've all been selected for this mission because you each have a special skill. Professor Hawking, John Leslie, Phil Neville, the Wu-Tang Clan, Usher, the Sugar Puffs Monster and Daniel Day-Lewis! Welcome to Operation MindFuck!"
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Bryan Moore wrote:
Rochey wrote:I was thinking of buying it, myself. Would you say it was worth the money?

If you can get it from the library, do so. It's rather steeply priced for being not that great of a book. Having finished it, there are a few nice tidbits about the Death Star, but the bulk of the book is a web of interwoven short stories about poorly developed characters that you don't have much reason to care about.

The best stuff in the book revolved around the Death Star's building; supply problems, sabotage, etc. But, there is nothing groundbreaking, nor in depth enough to satisfy the nerds like me hungry for technical specs, engineering figures, etc.
I think the Civil War Period is just too well covered really to have much more than that. Unless they want to expand and add whole new characters and planets (Which with the size of the galaxy they can) there isn't much they can do.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

And with the Civil War period, it's just too... predictable, really. Jedi die, the Empire expands and Palpatine cackles a lot.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

I think the best idea for any more stories set during that era would be to completely move away from the movie characters, and make a story about something else going on in another part of the galaxy.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

One period that might be interesting is the gap between ANH and ESB - AFAIK all that really fita in that gap is "Splinter of the Minds Eye" and "Alliegiance". There's plenty of scope for more stories, either regarding the Big Three or a wider focus on the grass roots of the Rebellion.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Sionnach Glic
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Sionnach Glic »

Good point. There was a three year gap there, right?
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Rochey wrote:Good point. There was a three year gap there, right?
Yep. I think the old Marvel comics filled some of the gap, but I'm not sure how much.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Not sure, either. I do know they tell how Vader learned Luke was his son, and some other stuff... but it'd still be better than the prequel-OT gap, there. EVen if it is only a sixth as long.
Monroe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Monroe »

Captain Seafort wrote:One period that might be interesting is the gap between ANH and ESB - AFAIK all that really fita in that gap is "Splinter of the Minds Eye" and "Alliegiance". There's plenty of scope for more stories, either regarding the Big Three or a wider focus on the grass roots of the Rebellion.
Oh god no. That 'gap' is the most crammed part of the Universe.

Rogue Squadron's 3 games, 80+ Marvel Comics, least 5 books, X-Wing, X-Wing Alliance, SWG, SW:GBG, Force Commander, plus more I know I'm forgetting.
Bryan Moore
Captain
Captain

Post by Bryan Moore »

Monroe wrote:
Captain Seafort wrote:One period that might be interesting is the gap between ANH and ESB - AFAIK all that really fita in that gap is "Splinter of the Minds Eye" and "Alliegiance". There's plenty of scope for more stories, either regarding the Big Three or a wider focus on the grass roots of the Rebellion.
Oh god no. That 'gap' is the most crammed part of the Universe.

Rogue Squadron's 3 games, 80+ Marvel Comics, least 5 books, X-Wing, X-Wing Alliance, SWG, SW:GBG, Force Commander, plus more I know I'm forgetting.
The multiple comic books, Star Wars christmas special...