The New Star Wars Will Be Shot on Film

Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

The New Star Wars Will Be Shot on Film

Post by Nutso »

35mm film rather than digital. Slow day. :|
http://gizmodo.com/the-new-star-wars-wi ... 1188733878
Last night, Star Wars: Episode VII cinematographer Dan Mindel announced that the J.J. Abrams-directed movie will be shot on 35mm film, as opposed to digital video. The decision symbolizes the changing of the guard from the reign of George Lucas, and hopefully adds some much-needed vigor to the beloved franchise.

Back when The Phantom Menace came out in 1999, it was a big deal that some scenes were shot with high-definition video cameras instead of 35mm, and the choice helped pave the way for the widespread adoption of video in production of Hollywood features. Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, for instance, were both shot entirely with a high definition 24 frame system.

Some critics felt that the switch made the films feel clinical or lifeless; video cameras, the argument went, were unable to reproduce the subtle tonal qualities of traditional film-stock. Of course, this perception may have had more to do with cinematography choices than the technology used, but the assessment was symbolic of the feeling that George Lucas and company was focusing on technology and special effects at the expense of artistry and story.

Despite the fact that digital video technology has evolved into an medium capable of artistic use—Slumdog Millionaire, The Social Network, and others have used it to good effect—it's not uncommon these days for feature films to be shot on film. It especially shouldn't come as much of a surprise that Abrams will employ it here, given that he's opted for film on recent blockbusters like Super 8 and Star Trek. In addition to being preferred by some directors for its visual qualities, film still carries a symbolic weight, that of sophistication and craft.

That symbolism is likely to feed into fans' expectation that the new films will be a cut above the much-maligned prequels. At this point, so early in the film's development, it's their only hope. [Boba Fett Fan Club via Slashfilm]
Discuss
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: The New Star Wars Will Be Shot on Film

Post by McAvoy »

But will the new movie be shot with a good script is a better question.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Yeah this is only a very small issue in the big picture.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

McAvoy wrote:But will the new movie be shot with a good script is a better question.
And infinitely more important.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I don't see the issue really. I never had a problem with how the film looked. Overuse of digital effects and George's inability to write were the real downfalls.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I've always felt Endor was one of the best space battles in science fiction. Period.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Tyyr wrote:I don't see the issue really. I never had a problem with how the film looked. Overuse of digital effects and George's inability to write were the real downfalls.
Problem is the overuse of visual effects. Of makes them more expensive.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The problem is that George CG'd every damn thing he could. Aside from a few location shots for Naboo when you see filming for the prequels it's almost always a couple of actors standing in the middle of a giant green or blue room. Things that could have been practical like sets, some of the droids and aliens, Stormtroopers, etc. but he did them all digitally because... I dunno. That's what made the films feel so lifeless, they were.