Let the whoring begin!

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Let the whoring begin!

Post by Teaos »

Link

So we will be getting a new SW film every year from 2015 onwards, Alternating between the series starting at episode VII and spin offs.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Re: Let the whoring begin!

Post by Tyyr »

Please oh please let the spinoffs really explore the setting. If they go wild with different genres and characters in the spin offs to off set the Jedi heavy alternate years this could work.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Its strange... if they use secondary characters like the droids it will be to close to the series. If they dont it might just be to alien.

My bets on Yoda being the first one. He is by far the most well known character in Star Wars who isnt one of the main cast.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

There's plenty of stuff that goes way off axis in the EU. Rogue Squadron, Tales from the..., I Jedi, etc. they all barely acknowledge the main plot lie or characters using entirely new casts and are still recognizably Star Wars and great fun.
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

oooo... a Rogue Squadron series... even just a tv series would be great.
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Vic
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Vic »

HAH! Milk it baby! I saw the title of the thread and had a what? moment, lol. For what little I have come into contact with the EU Rogue Squadron would be my vote.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.
.................................................Billy Currington
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

I want THRAWN.....kicking new republic ass.....
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well surprise there. The moment Star Wars was given away from Lucas's hands we all started to suspect the franchise was going to be milked for every penny.

I mean Lucas may have destroyed the prequels with shitty writing and nonstop tinkering with the original trilogy, at least he didn't whore it out.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Well in merchandising he did.

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well not in making movie after movie and a TV series on top of a TV series. Basically watering down the whole franchise.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

You mean like Clone Wars (the cartoon), The Clone Wars (CGI series), or the Holiday Special? No, no whoring at all.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

To be honest. That is whoring lite. I think the movie was an after thought too.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Ok, first off there's the entire EU book series, the Holiday special, Clone Wars movie (meh), the Clone Wars cartoon (yay) , at least 20 video games, 30 years of toys (there has been at least 15 feet of shelf space in every department store for the last 15 years along with another couple feet in the Lego area for their toys), then there's shirts, clothes, posters, VHS, DVD, Blu-rays, kids party decorations, promotions with fast food restaurants, the Angry Birds tie in, the Build-A-Bear tie in, the sections at theme parks, the darth Vader mice, the Boba Fett flash drives, the special editions of the originals, the re-release of the prequels, the 3D Phantom Meanace...

These movies are the $2 Tijuana hookers of whoring out.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

That is still whoring lite. Only the re release of the movies in the theater and the multiple different versions of the movies is real whoring.

Merchandising isn't that much of whoring out. Not compared to what they are planning to do in the future.

Bit you are saying: toys is more whoring out than future movies and tv shows along with their own toys too?
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

That's whoring lite? Are you kidding me with this? Name a single major movie franchise that has been more whored out than Star Wars.

It's not just merchandising. It's how pervasive it is. Almost every single character that shows up in the movies or shows winds up as an action figure. Doesn't matter if they showed up in one episode and were on screen for two minutes tops, there's going to be an action figure. Lego sets are made for everything to the point where they're pulling from the new MMO for material and sometimes just making it up. They've never met a tie in they wouldn't go for. Angry Birds? Why not. A Star Wars version of Cataan? Sure! Put Vader's face on a mouse? Why not. There is almost nothing they won't use to try and make a buck off the Star Wars brand. No matter how inconsequential, no matter how vapid, Lucas would bite.