Blaster/Lasers/Phaser = Fail

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Blaster/Lasers/Phaser = Fail

Post by Teaos »

Well unless they break the laws of thermo dynamics, they will run out of shots.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Teaos wrote:Well unless they break the laws of thermo dynamics, they will run out of shots.
Eventually. Still beats your average auto rifle that is out in a few seconds.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Extrapolate into the future though. Your comparing modern guns to advanced lazers. What would have balistics turned into in a few hundred years. There is already prototypes of smart bullets that can adjust coarse to hit targets, or smaller rounds that are still able to cause the damage of larger ones, allowing for larger magazines.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Teaos wrote:Extrapolate into the future though. Your comparing modern guns to advanced lazers. What would have balistics turned into in a few hundred years. There is already prototypes of smart bullets that can adjust coarse to hit targets, or smaller rounds that are still able to cause the damage of larger ones, allowing for larger magazines.
There are Wars ballistic weapons. They are near identical to what we have now, except with a Sci Fi look (all are in the EU afaik, so take that for what it is).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Where do we see them? I only recall Boba Fetts mini missles.

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

There are 'slugthrowers' listed in the Essential guide to Weapons. I don't have the guide on me at the moment. IIRC bullets can't penetrate Stormtrooper armor unless they're explosive rounds or something. I'll look it up when I get my hands on it.
kostmayer
Captain
Captain

Post by kostmayer »

What bugs me most about the Blasters in Star Wars is that they appear to be so damned innacurate. Being able to fire 10 blaster shots for ever bullet is all well and good, but if nine of your blaster shots are going to miss..
"You ain't gonna get off down the trail a mile or two, and go missing your wife or something, like our last cook done, are you?"
"My wife is in hell, where I sent her. She could make good biscuits, but her behavior was terrible."
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

kostmayer wrote:What bugs me most about the Blasters in Star Wars is that they appear to be so damned innacurate. Being able to fire 10 blaster shots for ever bullet is all well and good, but if nine of your blaster shots are going to miss..
...then they're probably no worse than modern weapons. Ultimately, the most important limiting factor in the accuracy of any weapon is the individual holding it.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

The weapons are also much more accurate (well, depending on author) in the EU.

Excepting of course hero shields. Those things tend to be rather annoying.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

As it says in the artical it is a much slower bullet/shot.

McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Another is we have seen people dodge phaser fire whereas you really can't dodge bullets. Also guns have a higher rate of fire than phasers.

Phasers do have higher power. So one phaser can stun, wound, kill and destroy certain things.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

McAvoy wrote:Another is we have seen people dodge phaser fire whereas you really can't dodge bullets.
.45 ACP rounds are visible in flight. Theoretically, you could dodge them, if you were quick enough. Won't catch me trying any time soon, though.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

They travel the same speed as a bow and arrow.

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

About three times an arrows speed, generally, but people can actually catch arrows, so... possible? Yes.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Well good luck with the dodging bullet thing then Neo.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"