Star Wars Planets?

LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Star Wars Planets?

Post by LaughingCheese »

I thought I read/saw somewhere that Star Wars planets are different from planets in our universe; i.e., higher atmospheres, bigger in general.

I thougth it was in one of those guides, like the Star Wars Guide to Vehicles and Vessels.

This ring a bell?
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Star Wars Planets?

Post by Teaos »

I think they are all different, Nabo was said to be a lot fmaller than earth.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

LaughingCheese wrote:I thought I read/saw somewhere that Star Wars planets are different from planets in our universe; i.e., higher atmospheres, bigger in general.
As Teaos, all planets are different. You might be thinking of Coruscant in particular, which is substantially larger than Earth.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I think Tattonin was large as well, but I'm not sure if that is just perception or fact.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

The only planet that is near exact to Earth size wise is Alderaan.

The rest range from much larger, to close but bigger, to close but small, to much smaller.

Naboo is smaller. Tatooine is close but larger... usually. Bespin makes Jupiter look small. Endor is a moon almost the size of Earth (or is Endar the planet and its moon has another name...). Yavin 4 is larger. Falucia is larger.

Thats all the ones I remember.

Oh yeah and Coruscant and Taris were both larger, though it is unknown if the actual planet is larger or just the city on top of it.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I cant imgin the city adding to much to the diameter of a planet.

stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

Teaos wrote:I cant imgin the city adding to much to the diameter of a planet.
Well its over 5000 levels high, so about 20km on each side give or take (assuming level is 4m, make be much higher).
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

In other words, nothing, compared to its 2500 km greater radius.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

So 40km in total, the diameter of the Earth is 12,700km, so that makes the city add 0.3% to the diameter of Earth, less for other planets. The moon flexes the Earth that much in its orbit.

stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

That is on the low end, limiting every level to 4m high, with nothing in between.

I'll do some math based on visuals to find a high end, though I don't expect anything beyond 1% Earth diameter.
LaughingCheese
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by LaughingCheese »

I think I have seen that site before. Coolio, thanks.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

And the majority of them are of the 'simgle-biome planet' variety. :happydevil:
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:And the majority of them are of the 'simgle-biome planet' variety. :happydevil:
Yeah, the majority of sci fi is guilty of that...
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

Dumb question time. With all that added mass of 20km deep city structures how would that affect the planet? I doubt the whole city was built from resources located on the planet.

I know we are still talking about a very small percentage but I could imagine there could be a subtle affect.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Asteroids, or they could very well have leached it out of the core, Aluminum is the 3rd most common metal in the crust, the issue is its all in a ore so its hard to get.