Balance

Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Balance

Post by Teaos »

I'm not huge into Star Wars EU or all the old debates. But I was just watching Episode III again and they go on about how Anakin was supposed to bring balance to the force or maybe Luke.

But doesnt Balance mean both light and dark? So by aiding the sith to come back he did bring balance to the force. It seems to be the Jedi dont want balance they want light everywhere and no dark. Vice versa for the sith.

The only Balance we see is Mace Windu, he dances the line of light and dark but stays on the light.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Re: Balance

Post by Nutso »

They were fools to never realize that balance of the Force would require equal light and dark. Not counting the EU because I don't know much about it beyond Knights of The Old Republic, when Anakin is through with the Purge, there are four known Force wielders in existence, Yoda and Obi-Wan on the light, the Emperor and Darth Vader on the dark. So he did bring balance. There are also Luke and Leia who are neutral since they are babies, but still there is the potential to maintain balance with six beings.

The only alternative that comes to my mind is that the Jedi assume that "balance" doesn't refer to a scale for good vs evil, but "balance" is instead a metaphor for "harmony." Sort of like Adam and Eve were good and everything was in harmony, until the talking snake.
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Jim
Captain
Captain

Post by Jim »

Yeah, I thought that from the E1. Bring balance to the Force... well... it is all Light side now... Either the Dark has to come or the Light has to go!
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Nutso wrote:The only alternative that comes to my mind is that the Jedi assume that "balance" doesn't refer to a scale for good vs evil, but "balance" is instead a metaphor for "harmony."
^ This. Jedi-speak has always been full of buzzword lingo and double-speak; "balance" seemed to be just be their term for "generic good stuff." Of course, one must also bear in mind that it was a given that when Jedi said, "good," they invariably meant "good for the Jedi specifically."
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Awfully risky to train Anakin if the prophecy can be interpreted to say that he's going to destroy the Jedi.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

But they never considered that seriously. They were good which meant they were in balance which meant Anakin was going to wipe out the Sith. The Jedi of the old Republic had their heads so far up their asses they could see daylight.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Balance sounded 'cool' and 'mystical', which is why it wasn't until ROTS that Yoda began actually considering what it really meant.
McAvoy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by McAvoy »

An old possibility is Luke not Anakin. Luke being the old trained Force user left and possibly bordering on both Light and Dark side. He doesn't have the stuffy Jedi training and he is powerful. Leia might be his twin and possibly as powerful as Luke but has no training.

Or the prophecy just meant bring stability as in Jedi peace.
"Don't underestimate the power of technobabble: the Federation can win anything with the sheer force of bullshit"
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Or like most prophecy it's a load of horse shit and Anakin was just a dangerous asshole.

After all, how good is Jedi precognition? At least half the Jedi we saw get Order 66'd seemed to have no clue what was about to happen and the ones that did catch on usually had other clues than the Force that they just got punked.

Oh, and as for the prophecy? Anyone remember how Shmi decided to claim Anakin was Jesus? "I don't know, just one day I was pregnant. There was no father." Uh huh. Anakin clearly worked in Watto's shop but what was Shmi for? Anyone wanna venture a guess? What use could Shmi be to Watto...

Watto is Anakin's dad and Shmi couldn't bring herself to admit it.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

Well its claimed the darkside clouds Jedi precognition. And since the emperor was directly behind order 66...

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

The Jedi are flung out all over the fucking galaxy. You mean to tell me that the Emperor sitting on Courscant can fuck with the same sense the Jedi use for deflecting blaster bolts 50,000 light years away? Yeah, not buying it.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tyyr wrote:The Jedi are flung out all over the fucking galaxy. You mean to tell me that the Emperor sitting on Courscant can fuck with the same sense the Jedi use for deflecting blaster bolts 50,000 light years away? Yeah, not buying it.
Not directly, but through the war. That was the main point of it - to darken the Force sufficiently that the Jedi wouldn't be able to sense the clones' intent.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

He didnt have to focus on every Jedi, Just generally stir up the darkside of the force.

Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

"Darken the Force," "Stir up the darkside," yeah, still not buying that a single force user could have so much power or influence that he alone can blind the thousands of Jedi all across the galaxy to the point where they can't sense someone firing on them or getting ready to, which they seem to have had no real trouble doing in every battle we see them in otherwise. Order 66's implementation in the films was stupid.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tyyr wrote:"Darken the Force," "Stir up the darkside," yeah, still not buying that a single force user could have so much power or influence that he alone can blind the thousands of Jedi all across the galaxy
He didn't have to do it himself - the war did it. Hatred, violence, death and suffering on a vast scale.
to the point where they can't sense someone firing on them or getting ready to, which they seem to have had no real trouble doing in every battle we see them in otherwise.
We've seen plenty of Jedi killed or injured in other situations, most notably in the Geonosis arena, where plenty of them were brought down by massed fire from the battle droids. The combination of overwhelming volume of fire, the shroud of the darkside, the complete lack of malice on the part of the clones, and the trust the Jedi placed in them all combined to render them vulnerable when Sidious decided to strike.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.