4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Star Wars: The Golden Years

Post by Teaos »

Link

Hammil and Ford might be coming back.
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Star Wars: The Golden Years

Post by Mikey »

I had heard Carries, too. Good Lord, I hope this doesn't happen. Any new 'Wars needs a completely new starting block.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

After the reception the prequels got, you know they are going to do this if they can. Movie executives are simple people with no conception whatsoever of what makes a good movie - the highest level their thinking rises to is that people like a movie because of the elements within it, so if you put those elements into other movies then people will therefore like those too.

In the mind of a movie exec the thinking will go "Fans like the original characters so if we bring them back fans will like the new films too".

They WILL put the actors into the new films, so you may as well stop trying to wish it away and get used to the idea.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

True. I just...

a) thought that Lucas was supposed to have a decent distance from this project; and

b) hope to Hell that if it has to be, they use these guys in a support role, to set up a flashback or something similar. I can't watch a 61-year-old Hamill try to play Luke throughout a Luke-based film. Ford's aged well, and even he was a little painful to see in "Crystal Skull."
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'm just praying for quick cameos as the old guard sends a new guard off on their first adventure.

Though I expect that they'll try to get me to buy Harrison Ford and Hamil as action stars.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Exactly what I'm saying. Have aging Luke and Han send off the next generation onto their adventure, or relate a story of way back when, or complete a training sequence, or have Han helping mod a starship and give a "Back in my day..." quip. Not a feature-length film of Hamill and Ford fighting across the galaxy... please?
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

50/50 odds, maybe.
Graham Kennedy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Graham Kennedy »

Mikey wrote:True. I just...

a) thought that Lucas was supposed to have a decent distance from this project; and

b) hope to Hell that if it has to be, they use these guys in a support role, to set up a flashback or something similar. I can't watch a 61-year-old Hamill try to play Luke throughout a Luke-based film. Ford's aged well, and even he was a little painful to see in "Crystal Skull."
I think it could work well if they were around as older mentor or leader type figures. I don't want to see Luke Skywalker having adventures and action, and I don't even want to see Luke along for the adventure with some young person there to do the serious action, as in Crystal Skull.

But imagine Luke playing the sort of role Obi Wan had in the original film, or Yoda had in the second. The wise mentor who helps the hero along the way. Or Leia being the Queen, or President or whatever they have, who sends the troops out on their mission. That would make sense to me.
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day. SET a man on fire, and you will keep him warm for the rest of his life...
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Indeed - a supporting, mentoring, or otherwise background yet still prominent role would work; it could even be hugely beneficial to the film, if done properly. It's the idea of "Luke and Han and Leia were in the '77 one and that did great, lets reprise it!" that worries me.
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I think Luke and Han could have some action scenes. I loved Christopher Lee's fight scenes in the prequels (though he is an actual trained swordsman), and Harrison Ford's Han Solo was never much of a crazy action guy; more of a shoot 'em in the face kinda guy.

I personally always wanted to see Princess Leia with a lightsaber. None of the jumping, flipping, super-choreographed stuff like the prequels, but some training and stunt doubles could lend to her and Hamill doing well with a short action scene or two. Just my opinion.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

How old would the droids be in a movie based 40-50 years post ROTJ? Do droids have a life span?
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

No reason I know of that you couldn't just keep repairing them. By the time of RoTJ the droids are probably pushing 60. So they'd be pushing 100 to 110 that far past Return.

Actually that's just C3P0, we don't know when Artoo was built but it's likely before C3P0.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

There are EU records of droids in the several hundreds, so the OT droids are still in their golden years.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

In KOTOR, there was a droid what, 20,000 years old? Rakatan, but still.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

On the plus side for Carrie Fisher, any SW experience would be a novel one considering the blackout in which she spent the late 70's and early 80's.
as Bull offed Custer