Star Wars: The Golden Years

RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Re: Star Wars: The Golden Years

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

I see this working if they're in support roles, as stated. Main focus... no.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Teaos »

Well logically if we are dealing with older cast members the story is going to be 40-50 years post ROTJ, so I wonder what story they will go with? Sith coming back, clone emporer, imperial reminant, Vong...
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

Tyyr wrote:No reason I know of that you couldn't just keep repairing them. By the time of RoTJ the droids are probably pushing 60.
112 for Threepio, I don't think we've ever been given a hard number for Artoo.
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

One would assume within a decade or so of when we see him in Episode I.

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Teaos wrote:Well logically if we are dealing with older cast members the story is going to be 40-50 years post ROTJ, so I wonder what story they will go with? Sith coming back, clone emporer, imperial reminant, Vong...
Yeah, but 'logic' and Hollywood don't go together too often. :P
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

I think a plot about Luke having rebuilt the Academy could work - he finds that his limited Jedi training didn't prepare him for training other Jedi very well. A group of them go rogue, and become Dark Jedi. Luke and Leia both have other massive responsibilities, so they send some of his other young Knights after the rogues. Shit goes south, perhaps, Luke has to step in to assist, but at the end, the rogues escape, and ally with the Imperial Remnant. No need to call them Sith, they're just over-ambitious Jedi who wanted to run things differently, and ended up power-hungry dark side users. End of the movie, the rogue leader is standing on the bridge of a new Star Destroyer cradling the replacement arm for the one the new hero sliced off during the climax. The only reason they escaped was because Luke stepped in to prevent the new hero from killing them, so now Luke has the responsibility of whatever happens next.

Something like that. No resurrected emperor, or sudden appearance of uber races; no Sith resurgence (unless they have one of the rogues find a holocron) without building up to that. Hell, I'd be happy with no red lightsabers for the majority of the movie. Just something where the bad guys aren't so obviously bad.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

I think it would be something like that. The jedi temple rebuilt, Luke as the head of the order, Leia as a senior council member and on the senate.

What we know just due to hollywood dictate is...

There will be new ships, probably big and powerful and cool.

A new lightsaber, good mechandise. Maybe light whip or nun-chucks.

CG characters, this is disney now.

Comic relief droids.

Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

The problem with taking a storyline from the post-Rebellion EU is that you're going to have mobs of fanbois with pitchforks and torches for every single point of divergence from the novels... and I mean if someone wears blue underwear in the movie when they have on green in the book, etc.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Other than the Imperial Remnant, I don't think much of what I suggested happened in the EU. I could be wrong; I only read Dark Force Rising by Zahn. EU or not, a lot of that is just logical.

1) Emperor dies, does the Empire just go "yeah, okay. We give up."? hell no. Most of the Moffs would try to ally together; the whole thing would splinter, but it wouldn't disappear. Even 30 years later (I don't get why people keep saying 50 years 1983-2015 is 32 years), there would probably be a massive force of them running sections of the galaxy. All the rebels did in RotJ was destroy a superweapon and kill the leadership. They didn't have a fleet that could take out the entire Empire militarily.

2) Leia becomes the chancellor or whatever. Mon Mothma was a bit older than Leia in RotJ; she probably would have led to begin with, but after 30+ years, she probably would've been voted out or retired.

3) Luke sets up a new Jedi Academy. This one should be about the most obvious, frankly. He'd know how dangerous an untrained Force user could be, and since he's the only person with even a semblance of training, it would be his responsibility to train Leia and any other force-sensitives he found. Perhaps ghost Obi-Wan, Yoda and Anakin would have continued his training; they were still hanging out after the victory in RotJ.

4) Some of the Jedi go rogue. Again, due to his lack of training, this one is just bound to happen. What if he finds some powerful force sensitive, and mistakes his/her lust for power as simple arrogance? His best friend is an arrogant pirate, after all, and Luke was always looking for the good in people, through the entire series. So, he thinks since he was able to help redeem Vader, maybe he can help this person. And he's wrong.

I don't recall if any of that happened in the books (aside from the IR), but even if it did, so what? Those are logical outcomes based on what we saw in the OT, and if the few thousand fanboys who still like the books (there don't seem to be many left after the vong) don't like it, i bet it wouldn't hurt the ticket sales very much at all.

oh, and 5) bring back Mace Windu.
There is only one way of avoiding the war – that is the overthrow of this society. However, as we are too weak for this task, the war is inevitable. -L. Trotsky, 1939
Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Teaos »

The EU has a lot about Jedi going dark.

Tsukiyumi
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Tsukiyumi »

Well, it is bound to happen. Not every force-user is going to be a good person.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

The Young Jedi Knight series had a 'next generation' feel to it, and managed to keep the older generation badass but also in the background. Luke was the teacher, there were Dark Jedi and a new generation of Jedi.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

As for the droids, the core essence of them is their software. It's their basic OS and their memories and how that's all networked together. So there's really no reason that a droid would have a finite life span. When parts break you replace them. If the current body can't be fixed any more then just transfer your programming to a new body. Especially given the stagnation of the SW universe's basic technology there's no logical reason I can see why you couldn't have droids running around who'd been present 5,000 years ago.

Oh, and if they go Vong I will officially check the fuck out of SW permanently. That shit killed the EU for me. I don't need to spreading into the movies.
The problem with taking a storyline from the post-Rebellion EU is that you're going to have mobs of fanbois with pitchforks and torches for every single point of divergence from the novels... and I mean if someone wears blue underwear in the movie when they have on green in the book, etc.
So? Use the EU, don't use the EU, you're going to have fanboys bitching and moaning regardless but let's keep things in focus, they don't matter. Whiny fanboys don't matter because whiny fanboys are not a significantly large enough part of the audience to influence a movie positively or negatively.
Well, it is bound to happen. Not every force-user is going to be a good person.
No, it's bound to happen because the way the Jedi train initiates is completely fucking stupid.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

You could do a scene-by-scene recreation of thew Thrawn Trilogy and people would bring their pitchforks and torches.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

"Grand Admiral Thrawn is the wrong shade of blue! RUINED FOREVER!"