Disney Chief: More Star Wars 'Character' Movies on the Way

Jim
Captain
Captain

Re: Disney Chief: More Star Wars 'Character' Movies on the W

Post by Jim »

Movie on the bounty hunters...
Ugh... do not thump the Book of G'Quan...
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Tyyr wrote:
RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Oddly enough, Qui-Gon was the best part of TPM for me. ;)
What did he even do in the movie, what was his role?
He wasn't annoying. He wasn't Jar Jar. And he was played by Liam Neeson. Congratulations, Qui-Gon! You're the best part of TPM. :lol:
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

That's setting the bar low but then this is TPM.
Be that as it may, there was still an unmistakable sense of real, interesting character and story under that shoddy veneer - which would certainly be helped along if Neeson were gotten to reprise the role under a writing and direction team that allowed that character to be expressed.
Possibly. They had a good actor then again you can say the same thing about Natalie Portman. She can act, she just had nothing to work with and a crappy director.

Funny thing, you could remove Qui-Gonn entirely from TPM with minimal rewrites. Almost everything he does could have been done by Obi-Wan. Then again you could completely remove TPM from the prequels and lose almost nothing.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

I appreciate Qui Gon because of his roles in the comics and other stories. He (as most things) was poorly done in the PT.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Never seen him anywhere else. Just watched TPM on Tuesday with my boy and the whole time I'm watching it I'm thinking, "Why are you even IN this movie?"
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:Never seen him anywhere else. Just watched TPM on Tuesday with my boy and the whole time I'm watching it I'm thinking, "Why are you even IN this movie?"
That's true, but it's not the fault of the character. I think his main raison d'etre was to allow the Council to voice its unwillingness to accept Anakin, while still allowing Obi-Wan to be a good boy; Qui-Gon is the one who goes against the wishes of the Council, not Obi-Wan.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I guess I can see that but... that is a very weak reason to have an entire other character in a movie for. Heck, wanna make it poignant? Have Yoda have pushed to let Anakin in. Have the two people who went against the council in the end be the only ones left after their star pupil turns.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:I guess I can see that but... that is a very weak reason to have an entire other character in a movie for. Heck, wanna make it poignant? Have Yoda have pushed to let Anakin in. Have the two people who went against the council in the end be the only ones left after their star pupil turns.
I agree that it's a weak reason to have Qui-Gon in TPM, but as near as I can tell it's the reason. I think to be truly poignant, it should have been Windu who pushed for Anakin's inclusion. Talk about coming around to bite you in the ass...
as Bull offed Custer
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Tyyr wrote:That's setting the bar low but then this is TPM.
Yeah. Sad, but true. Then again you could say that about the PT as a whole.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Of course I also dislike Qui-Gonn because he's an asshole and a pussy but that's a rant for a different thread.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Well, that's the nature of the beast. In the PT, "Jedi master" = "pompous ass."
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

"I didn't come here to free slaves," so shut up bitch and don't slow me down while go winging off in my silvery space ship to the capital of my democracy so we can pontificate about freedom and democracy without your ratty ass tracking dirt all over the place.

Let's make a bet so complicated you can't follow it... THEN CHEAT ON IT ANYWAYS. Just pull out your fucking lightsaber and be done with it. I mean shit, you had no problem trying to force the asshole take worthless money which is tantamount to theft anyways. So what's the matter, too much of a pussy to go for armed robbery, you're only into the white collar stuff? Oh wait a minute, that would have kept Anakin on Tatooine, out of the Jedi Order, and not destroyed the Republic. Yet another way you can lay the destruction of the Republic at Qui-Gonn's feet.
stitch626
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by stitch626 »

This is why in my personal cannon, a lot of the PT does not exist.
No trees were killed in transmission of this message. However, some electrons were mildly inconvenienced.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Mikey »

Tyyr wrote:"I didn't come here to free slaves," so shut up bitch and don't slow me down while go winging off in my silvery space ship to the capital of my democracy so we can pontificate about freedom and democracy without your ratty ass tracking dirt all over the place.

Let's make a bet so complicated you can't follow it... THEN CHEAT ON IT ANYWAYS. Just pull out your fucking lightsaber and be done with it. I mean shit, you had no problem trying to force the asshole take worthless money which is tantamount to theft anyways. So what's the matter, too much of a pussy to go for armed robbery, you're only into the white collar stuff? Oh wait a minute, that would have kept Anakin on Tatooine, out of the Jedi Order, and not destroyed the Republic. Yet another way you can lay the destruction of the Republic at Qui-Gonn's feet.
You're right about all of it, except for the fact that Qui-Gon was unique in his outlook. "Do as I say" seemed to be the mantra of the whole Jedi Order of the time. Deny anger like a Buddhist... except Windu, held by the Jedi themselves to be one of the greatest of their current number, embraced anger and aggression in order to develop a new fighting style with the sole purpose of maiming and killing people. "We are peacekeepers, not soldiers" (I'm paraphrasing,) but we'll go ahead and become the field marshals in order to prosecute a war. Clear your mind of violence and negative feelings... but we'll gladly and readily conduct our business with our adversaries facing the unpleasant end of a lightsaber.
as Bull offed Custer
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I'm not suggesting that it was unique to Qui-Gon, but he annoyed me because he was constantly in front of us in TPM and preaching this shit while being a total sleaze. Then again Padme, the queen of a world with all the finances that entails didn't even consider freeing Anakin or Shmi for a second. She's 14 though but then she is also a queen so... eh. Everyone preached freedom and democracy but when confronted with two slaves they just went, "Ewwww, I'm not here for you!"

Then you've got Qui-Gonn trying to rob Watto via mindcontrol, then he cheats on the bet between the boy and his mom. So really, just pull the lightsaber out and get it over with. Instead we waste all that time on Tatooine, why? So Qui-Gon could rob him in a way to still look good in front of Padme while letting the audience know he speaks out of both sides of his mouth?

I seriously fucking hate Qui-Gon.

I remember sitting in the theatre watching Geonosis start and remembering Mace saying, "We can't fight a war for you," then there the Jedi are dropping into leadership positions like they'd already planned the shit out. "Whaaaat?" Then again I did just want the movie to be over by that point.