Teaos
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Re: Disney to Acquire Lucasfilm, Star Wars Epi 7 Coming in 2

Post by Teaos »

Yoda: The early years
What does defeat mean to you?

Nothing it will never come. Death before defeat. I don’t bend or break. I end, if I meet a foe capable of it. Victory is in forcing the opponent to back down. I do not. There is no defeat.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award, Cochrane Medal of Excellence

Post by RK_Striker_JK_5 »

Honestly, I don't mind if they retcon the shit out of the post-ROTJ stuff. I still got my YJK books. If it gets rid of the Vong and NJO I will laugh my ass off and sit on a throne made of the tears of enraged fanboys. :D
Captain Seafort
4 Star Admiral
4 Star Admiral

Post by Captain Seafort »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Honestly, I don't mind if they retcon the shit out of the post-ROTJ stuff. I still got my YJK books. If it gets rid of the Vong and NJO I will laugh my ass off and sit on a throne made of the tears of enraged fanboys. :D
Hmm. Star Wars Episode VII: Star by Star. In which it is explicitly stated that this is the first time the Mykr strike team have met each other. :P
Only two things are infinite - the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe: Albert Einstein.
Mikey
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral
Commendations: The Daystrom Award

Post by Mikey »

I think a broad separation by time from the OT and PT is the only way to go about a new ep without screwing the pooch. Otherwise, there's just too much opportunity for screwing previously-established continuity.

Unless, of course, episode 7 could be made to explain: why Chewie owes Han a life debt; why Lando was wearing Han's clothes at the end of ESB; how exactly Leia remembered characteristics of her mother when Padme in fact died minutes after Leia was born; and how Leia could say she's "always known" Luke was her brother in RotJ, even after planting a big wet kiss on him in ESB.
I can't stand nothing dull
I got the high gloss luster
I'll massacre your ass as fast
as Bull offed Custer
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Why does Lando say "Han" and everyone else say "Hahn?"
"Bible, Wrath of Khan, what's the difference?"
Stan - South Park
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

RK_Striker_JK_5 wrote:Honestly, I don't mind if they retcon the shit out of the post-ROTJ stuff. I still got my YJK books. If it gets rid of the Vong and NJO I will laugh my ass off and sit on a throne made of the tears of enraged fanboys. :D
Good lord, you really hate those books.
Stan - South Park
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Nutso wrote:
Good lord, you really hate those books.
Yes. Yes I do. :) I honestly hate the NJO. If this is what it takes to get rid of them then so be it.
Granitehewer
Captain
Captain

Post by Granitehewer »

But save the Viscount class Star Defender !
PTLLS (Tees Achieve), DipHE App Bio (Northumbria), BSc Psychology (Teesside), Comparative Planetology (LJMU), High Energy Astrophysics (LJMU), Mobile Robotics/Physics (Swinburne), Genetics (SAC), Quant Meths (SAC)
https://www.facebook.com/PeterBrayshay
Atekimogus
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Post by Atekimogus »

Interesting.....well I dare them to come up with something better than the Thrawn Triology.

(started my EU experience with the Thrawn triology and was blown away, damn those were good books. Then I made the mistake and continued reading and finally gave up somewhere during the Vong Wars...remember darkly some living planet BS).

My point is I guess, that I don't think they will use this excellent material of the Thrawn Triology (great story, great villain, great original star wars feeling etc.etc.) while completely failing to come up with something better.

Since they have to recast all the roles I would almost find it better if they'd make the sequels animated with the proper voice actors. The Thrawn triology for example looked also great as comic, so making the sequels as top notch animes with the original cast would be preferable to life action movies who look nevertheless fake because of to much CGI.

on another note though:
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Granitehewer wrote:But save the Viscount class Star Defender !
Sure, save it. It'll still be there. ;)
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

Honestly, I don't mind if they retcon the shit out of the post-ROTJ stuff. I still got my YJK books. If it gets rid of the Vong and NJO I will laugh my ass off and sit on a throne made of the tears of enraged fanboys.
I still do not understand the dedication to the EU. It's had it's moments. The Thrawn Books, Courtship, X-Wing, Wraith Squadron, the YJK, and some other's but a lot of it is just crap. Then the Vong hit and it's all been one steaming pant load ever since. Star Wars fans should be welcoming the slate being wiped clean not trying to take the EU's bullshit and expose the general public to it.
I think a broad separation by time from the OT and PT is the only way to go about a new ep without screwing the pooch. Otherwise, there's just too much opportunity for screwing previously-established continuity.
Like that even stopped Lucas. Unless you mean EU continuity in which case... HAHAHAHAHA

The EU is going to be ignored, totally. It just is. The money maker of the franchise are the movies so the movies will get the attention and love. I'd bet that less than 5% of the people in the theatre for any given Star Wars movie are even aware that the EU exists. So there's no point in pandering to the minority who enjoy it. They'll just ignore it and move on. That said I hope they do either set the movies in the future, 100 years at least so they can safely kill of the OT cast of old age (the EU's biggest problem was staying OT cast-centric for so long) and move on. The past would also be great but I'd rather them stay out of it. More Jedi, more Sith, it just waters down the whole idea. I'd prefer something in the future where the Jedi are just regaining a foothold of relevance to galactic affairs. That's just me though.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Well, as you said, there's good in the EU. What's the old saying about the baby and the bathwater?

I'd like to see a clean slate, too.
Tyyr
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Post by Tyyr »

I said I enjoy portions of it, but I also admit that a great deal of it is just plain old crap. What I don't understand is the seeming requirement from some people that you have to love it all no matter what. If you did start to use it how do you start sorting the EU? What criteria do you use for what to make into a film and what not to?

Clean slate is the easiest route. I'd hope they'd move far enough away from the OT and PT that logically no one in either of them could be in the next one. To me the least desirable outcome would be an immediately post OT movie as it would no doubt reel in many characters and conflicts from the OT. I'd like to see a clean break from the current movie timeline.
RK_Striker_JK_5
3 Star Admiral
3 Star Admiral

Yeah. That's why I agree in a clean slate is best. Besides, I still got my YJK books. I can always reread them.
Nutso
2 Star Admiral
2 Star Admiral

Post by Nutso »

Tyyr wrote:I'd like to see a clean break from the current movie timeline.
Like a Knights of The Old Republic movie? :)
Stan - South Park